Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the motor on my 05 zx4 and now I'm having a starting issue. The car wont start! I've been over it with a fine toothed comb and still nothing. Compression is between 150 and 160 on all cylinders. Fuel pressure is 42 psi. All plugs are firing. All injectors are pulsating, but still the car wont start. It almost shudders and comes close to starting, but just wont complete ignition. I think it might be leaning towards a bad pcm but ???. What makes me think this is because, when I try to link a code reader diagnostic device to it it says, "cannot connect to vehicle". I've also thought maybe it's the security and I've tried all the steps I can find online to turn it off but as of yet nothing's worked. I welcome any thoughts on what may be the issue I'm experiencing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Are you 100 percent certain the engine ran before you installed it in this vehicle?

Are you using the PCM that the vehicle originally had?

If scan tool cannot connect there is a comm problem.

Is your PATS light flashing (about once per second) with the ignition off and does it go out when you turn the ignition on (before cranking)?

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the red light is blinking. I'm not sure about if the motor was running before I installed it but everything was super clean and all the valves and lifters were fine. The engine turns over perfect and builds proper compression. Yes I'm using the existing pcm for the old motor I'm not sure if that matters being the exact same motor. I'm pretty sure it is a common problem because a scan device will not connect I checked the port today and it has power to it so it's not a fuse what do u recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you 100 percent certain the engine ran before you installed it in this vehicle?

Is your PATS light flashing (about once per second) with the ignition off and does it go out when you turn the ignition on (before cranking)?

Paul
Yes the red light is blinking. I'm not sure about if the motor was running before I installed it but everything was super clean and all the valves and lifters were fine. The engine turns over perfect and builds proper compression. Yes I'm using the existing pcm for the old motor I'm not sure if that matters being the exact same motor. I'm pretty sure it is a common problem because a scan device will not connect I checked the port today and it has power to it so it's not a fuse what do u recommend?
Also I checked the timing today and it's in perfect time. Like I said before everything in the new motor is in excellent condition it was from a wreck in which the rear end of the car was completely torn off. Motor has 68000 miles. The security light flashes when car is off and goes out when I attempt to start it. I'm almost 100 percent sure it's the pcm because of the code reader error and the odometer being just blanks. Anything u answer u can give me is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Paul
Also I checked the timing today and it's in perfect time. Like I said before everything in the new motor is in excellent condition it was from a wreck in which the rear end of the car was completely torn off. Motor has 68000 miles. The security light flashes when car is off and goes out when I attempt to start it. I'm almost 100 percent sure it's the pcm because of the code reader error and the odometer being just blanks. Anything u answer u can give me is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Check that all the grounds in the engine compartment that may have been disconnected when the engine was R/Rd were re-installed. Missing ground will cause a no comm.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts