Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been active here, but have recently come into a lot more time and money (minus one girlfriend[:)~]). I will finally be doing the SVT exterior conversion to my 2005 ZX3!!! I've been lurking and gathering information, so far I have stocked up:

-2000-2004 hood
-2003 fenders
-2000-2004 black/clear side markers
-2000-2004 black/clear grill
-SVT front bumper
-SVT rear bumper
-SVT side skirts
-SVT wing (from here!)
-SVT mirrors

All that leaves is paint (going to be $$$, I will probably have the whole car redone again while I'm at it!) and 2000-2004 headlights. For the headlights, figured I might as well go for the HID retrofit. So some ebay machalikes, some Morimoto bi-xenons, some ballasts, relay harness and some oem headlights to swap the cover onto the machalikes (since their cover warps the throw). All I have left is paint and lights so be looking for this thread to be updated. Sticking with Blazing Copper, but was tempted to go a brighter orange, maybe Orioles orange. Also got to think about wheels and suspension next. Might just have the stockers painted until I can afford the Ford Racing black rally wheels. Will also look into the 3M paint protection.

Going to keep it black and orange theme, Orioles theme, just like my motorcycle (in my avatar).

Huge thanks for the FF community, Massive and Obocecha had some killer threads on SVT conversion and HID retrofit as well.

Keep your eyes peeled!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are both the ST170 and Mach HID lights available for sale on the site right now.

And if you do all your own prep, you can drive the price of paint WAY down. Since most of the parts are already not on the car, you would just need to pull the ones you're replacing and key the surface on the rest of your paint with scotch bright pads. It takes a while, but if you can get a grand off a paint job it is worth it.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
only thing id say is get a real SVT grill or go euro, the white light ZX3 ebay special never looks as good IMO.

also please keep it blazing copper, such a cool color! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words all! I've thought about DIY prep, I know it involves sanding and paint thinner!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
for the prep work you could just wet sand it. since you going to a black paint ( im guessing ) it would be easy to just sand the paint that is there and then have them paint over it with a gloss black or something. also you forgot about the svt seats, that or the st seats.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try my hand at some DIY paint prep. Is paint stripper proper for use on these parts? Or will it eat the plastic, especially on the front/back bumpers?

Got my 2004 OEM headlights, donor lenses.....

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
That in blazing copper is going to be sooooo sick.

What are you doing with all the stuff you're taking off?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
as long as your going a darker color all you really need to do is wet sand it real good. the paint on the car would be used as the primer. i know someone that has been doing custom paint jobs and body kit molding and everything all he does is sand the paint down then paint it. always turns out looking great

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Yeah i do love the blazing copper. Was thinking of going super bright orange, but that might bring a little too much unwanted attention from 5-0. I'm done with tickets and wearing the silver bracelets since my younger years lol.

I didn't even think about using existing paint as a primer. It'd be a heck of a good match, being alsmot the same color!!!

hahaha yeah I only had one, and I screwed up bad so keeping my mind busy with projects (that have been on hold for way too long). My bike is 110% done, so car is next. Maybe losing some weight and quitting drinking/smoking while I'm at it. Maybe not the drinking ;)

Thanks for the good luck wishes!! I will put the parts on the classifieds spot!

Thanks ya'll!

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
i have st170 headlights [thumb]

300 shipped... lmk they look really good on SVT's personally i think better the Mach's

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have st170 headlights [thumb]

300 shipped... lmk they look really good on SVT's personally i think better the Mach's
Thanks but I just got in a set of 2004 OEM stockers, and have some ebay machalikes on the way. After that its some Morimoto projectors, some sealant, some ballasts and a relay harness and I'm going to town

thanks though, they are purty

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Man I'd hate to see the shipping cost for a hood, bumper and fenders but I really want to do a reverse swap that you're doing.

If you put them up for sale, would you shoot me a PM?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
All you need to do prep wise is key the paint all over by rubbing it down with a scotch bright pad to take the shine off.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Scuff & shoot basicley. You can never do to much prep work= the key to paint & how it look's. I'd do all or most of the prep work yourself, just ask the pros if you run in to a problem. As far as your conversion don't forget about the windshield fluid bottle from going from the right side to the left, no big deal thou.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man I'd hate to see the shipping cost for a hood, bumper and fenders but I really want to do a reverse swap that you're doing.

If you put them up for sale, would you shoot me a PM?
Of course. Somehow my hood from ebay was brand new with free shipping for $126 bucks, amazing. Think the fenders were like $60 total with free shipping. Maybe UPS or fedex is cheaper than USPS for some things?

Thank ya'll for the prep advice, can I use paint remover/thinner on plastic without melting it? I don't wanna mess up the black "mesh" on the rear bumper

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It should unbolt/ unclip

Of course. Somehow my hood from ebay was brand new with free shipping for $126 bucks, amazing. Think the fenders were like $60 total with free shipping. Maybe UPS or fedex is cheaper than USPS for some things?

Thank ya'll for the prep advice, can I use paint remover/thinner on plastic without melting it? I don't wanna mess up the black "mesh" on the rear bumper
The mesh is clipped on w/ push pins, I believe.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Felix!!

Call me crazy...but since I can't afford a new paint job anytime soon ($2000+ for a good one seems to be market rate).....

How about bedliner? I like the look of other cars I seen in it. Kinda funky and mean but subtle at the same time. My buddy did his R6 in bedliner and it was pretty sick looking. What do ya'll think? I been wondering about the longevity of it though but it seems to be tough if it is bedliner.

I think I'm gonna have to buy an actual SVT grill and not the regular grill I got off of ebay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts