Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 ZX3 S model - wanting rear sway bar

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bigal 
#1 ·
So I know theres a post somewheres over at FJ about this, and some guy rigged up his own way of mounting a rear sway bar...my question is, what do I have to do to get a rear sway to fit?

Ford has told me that as of Sept 03 til present, all focus rear sway bars are the same (im not talking about SVTs here). People have told me to drill holes in the cross member, others say dont do that, make a bracket...I dont know how the bracket is made.

I went to the dealer again to look at the cars there with the rear sway, but didnt get a good enough look at how its mounted.

Besides telling me "well why didnt you have the dealer install it when you bought the car" what should I do?

#3 · (Edited)
swaybar

I had the same problem on my 05 SE. Look in the Search forum for the user name overfocused on FJ post #2416640093 Feb 05 and he did a rear mount. I did the same thing on mine only made a little different. I'll explain in a pm if you wish. He has pictures of the install. The holes in the crossmember have nothing to do with the mount. The original mounts are welded on at the factory. Buying another crossmember is expensive. The SE and S unfortunately have been slighted as far as the rear bar is concerned. I mounted a Progress 22mm rear bar on mine and it works perfectly even autocrossing.. A front bar isn't really necessary. I also have the Eibach prokit.

#6 ·
On the 05's, Uncle Henry has 2 different rear crossmembers. One is for with the rear sway bar, and the other, of course, is without. Guess which one I have (unfortunately). I'm just waiting for someone to total one and have a body shop buddy of mine help me swap it out.

#7 ·
Why you would go to all that trouble and money when you can do a bolt on like I posted before I don't understand. Try the bolt on and if you don't like it then you can do the new crossmember install. It never hurts to try. It cost me about $20.00 to fabricate my mounting bracket. Your choice of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.