Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My focus is at 163k miles and I travel from Lake Elsinore to San Diego for work on average about 150 miles a day round trip I love my Focus and don't want to give it up, so I am looking into buying a used 2.0 duratec off ebay or elsewhere and cleaning it up a bit. My question is can I drop any 2.0 duratec or does it need to be within a specific year range. I have done work on my own car, but this would be my first engine replacement so sorry for the new guy question [boxface] much appreciated.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I would assume any duratec up until 2007 would bolt right up. you could probably get the later model years to fit too but might need to modify the mounts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why do you need an engine replacement? As long as all the fluids stay where they belong and compression is within spec 163K miles isn't a big concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Jburks. Little bummed to hear that, found one on ebay with 41k miles in my price range, only problem it is a 2008, guess I'll keep hunting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ticking is most likely valvetrain noise. With the rest of the engine so quiet, a little extra tolerance in the valve train can be heard on high mileage engines. Either way, it wouldn't concern me too much.

Look into 2.3L duratec swaps or even 2.5L I4 duratec swaps for a little more go. My 2.3L 5 speed Focus makes for a decent daily commuter. It is no race car by any means, but at least it has enough go to merge on the highway and pass cars, hahaha. A friend has a 2.0L/AT and I don't think I could tolerate it for anything more than in town commuting.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Should be OK right up to '11, but the externals will need to be swapped over.

Your ticking is most likely the intake "tumble flaps", not valve noise - do some checking on the source before getting an engine for what may be a different problem.

I'll move this to General Tech Chat instead of a performance or engine swap section for more looks at your current problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sailor and gotta_gofast, I will look into both of your suggestions, thank you. Maybe I am not thinking clearly, but I feel a clone swap would be a good first time learning experience vs going all in and doing a complete swap for something bigger. With a clone I would have less things to worry about such as computer, wiring, flashing, ext.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There's a ton of lit on here about doing the 2.3 swap. Never done it myself, but I don't think that it is that much more difficult than a direct swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts