Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong place. Anyway I hope someone has seen this problem before. I have a 2005 wagon we bought new. It has 235000 miles. Been a great car for the most part. I have always serviced it myself. Every 4000 miles synthetic oil motorcraft filter. Every 50000 trans oil and filter,fuel filter. Motor runs great trans works perfect. The first time my current problem appeared was at about 75000 miles. I went to start it and it would crank but not fire. So first thing i think is fuel pump. Shoot some ether into the intake still no fire. So I get a friend to stop and scan for codes. No codes. So I get it towed to the dealer. So I ride by a couple of hours later and its been moved. I happy because I think its fixed. So I go in to find out what the problem was. They told me the mechanic scanned and found no codes, so he tries cranking . After many attempts it coughs and finally starts. He He then starts it a dozen times with no problems. After that my confidence dropped considerably.However for the next 125000 miles no problem. At about 200000 miles it decides it will not fire if it is raining. You have to walk away If the next day is nice and not raining it starts fine. Cold and snow are no problem. I have gone out in a blizzard and had to shovel 3 feet of snow to open the door and hit the key starts perfect. I will say that there have been times when on a dry day it will not fire but if you keep trying to start it by just hitting the key and letting of quickly it will cough a few times and even some times will kick back on the starter like the timing was off but it will start. At any time it starts it runs as good as new. One time just for lack of anything to do I changed the crank sensor. No help at all.Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,484 Posts
Check for damaged crank sensor wiring. Clean the grounds from the battery to the fender.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When it is in crank/no-start mode have you checked for spark (with a spark plug removed or spark checker, etc? Have you checked for fuel pressure on a scan tool? Forget about codes - look at scan tool live data for fuel pressure. When was the last time it had new spark plugs and/or ignition coils?

Paul

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,484 Posts
I found another thread where it was the #9 maxi fuse and the noise filter.
#9 maxi-fuse was blown, found that the noise filter failed. Replaced noise filter and fuse and all is working.

F2AZ-14526 A : Circuit Breaker
9S4Z-18801 A : Capacitor Assy

·
Registered
147 Posts
After no problems for 125k with the first problem, the current problem is likely not related. Since you have the issue primarily with rain/moisture, post #2 is a good place to start and cleaning grounds should be done after several years any way.

I think that car has the lifetime filter - have you changed your air filter in the 225k?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After no problems for 125k with the first problem, the current problem is likely not related. Since you have the issue primarily with rain/moisture, post #2 is a good place to start and cleaning grounds should be done every several years any way.

I think that car has the lifetime filter - have you changed your air filter in the 225k?
I let the original filter go 200,000 miles. I never noticed any decrease in fuel mileage or power but i installed the aftermarket filter housing with the replaceable filter. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check for damaged crank sensor wiring. Clean the grounds from the battery to the fender.
Will do. I seem to remember reading a long time ago that some of the 05's had a ecu problem related to this issue, but I cant remember where I saw it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I seem to recall a technical advisory and ECU update on some 05s from this site too (maybe Paul1958 brought it up once if memory servers). However, if you have been running mostly trouble free for 235k (congrats), I would put that possibility at the bottom of the checklist.

On one hand its a good thing you can get your car going most days but on the other hand, it will be hard to verify you have addressed the issue until it start raining again. I would also get answers to Paul1958 questions in post #3. Do you have any other electrical issues when it is raining?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts