Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Pardon the possible n00b question... I recently purchased a used 05 ST, and I'm just now getting familiar with Foci. [cool]

I'm contemplating doing some suspension upgrades to my new (to me anyway) Focus early next year, and I've noticed that most websites show different parts numbers for Focus struts from 2000-2005 and from 2005.5-2008 or 2006-2008. I assume something major changed in the car's suspension sometime late in the 2005 model year.

What changed, and how can I tell which suspension is on my car? [scratch]

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
the 05 has small differances compaired to the 06-07. its so minamal that i think the only difffernce is that the power steering res is in a differnt location, but when you perchace parts just go by 05-07. its easyer that way. what mods do you have right now? i would suggest dong a cai and a 2.5 mbrp flexback system first then start on the handling parts next. WELCOME TO FF

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
if you're changing out the suspension, don't worry about the 2005.5, honestly i've heard nothing about that in all my time on here. i've got an 05 model as well.

in any case, you'll want a suspension that's listed 2000-2005, or 2000-2004 will work as well if it's listed that way. suspensions parts from 2000-2005 are all interchangable, including the SVT.

what you DON'T want is 2006 or newer. they changed some stuff up in 2006, i forget what, i'm not the most mechanically inclined anyways, lol. but to go from 05 or newer to 06 or later requires an adapter kit that i believe massive sells.

but you're in luck with the 05 model, as there are many more options for you to choose from. so anything that's listed as pre-05 will work for you as far as suspension goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 05 has small differances compaired to the 06-07. its so minamal that i think the only difffernce is that the power steering res is in a differnt location, but when you perchace parts just go by 05-07.
The websites I've found categorize the suspension into 00-05 and 06-08 or 00-05.5 and 05.5-08. 05-07 isn't an option, and I have a hard time believing that the p/s reservoir location would require different struts. [scratch]
what mods do you have right now? i would suggest dong a cai and a 2.5 mbrp flexback system first then start on the handling parts next. WELCOME TO FF
The car has no mods whatsoever, yet. [;)] I'm going to get back into autox next year, so straight-line performance is second priority after handling.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
To my knowledge, the only thing they changed was the diameter of the front strut where it meets the spindle.

Massive's kit is a sleeve that compensates for the difference.

The whole rear suspension stayed the same through all years, so if you want an 05 or earlier aftermarket suspension, the Massive kit (or a set of 05 or earlier front spindles) will let you use it.

I have an 07, and toying with the idea of a complete SVT suspension and brake kit. It theoretically should work.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
i have no clue what you're looking at that shows 05.5 to 07, no idea at all. seriously. i've never seen that before in regards to the suspension.

trust me on this, if it says 05 you'll be fine. and 00-04 will work as well.

what you SHOULDN'T be seeing is 05-07. there's something wrong with that somewhere if you see that, because 06-07 is NOT the same as 05, but 05 IS the same as 00-04.

seriously though, what are you looking at that's saying 05.5-07? that may help us out. i'm guessing it's a source that isn't completely sure what they're talking about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To my knowledge, the only thing they changed was the diameter of the front strut where it meets the spindle.

Massive's kit is a sleeve that compensates for the difference.

The whole rear suspension stayed the same through all years, so if you want an 05 or earlier aftermarket suspension, the Massive kit (or a set of 05 or earlier front spindles) will let you use it.
Thanks! That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. [cool]

I wanted to find out if the parts could be interchanged with a little mixing-and-matching from the different model years, or if it was a big change that totally prevents you from interchanging certain parts at all (like the 88-->89 Civic rear strut and control arm redesign). It's sounds like it's the first one, so I'm in good shape. [:)]
i have no clue what you're looking at that shows 05.5 to 07, no idea at all. seriously. i've never seen that before in regards to the suspension.
FocusSport has a 2000-2005.5 and a 2005.5-2007 listing for the H&R Cup Kit:

http://www.focussport.com/cupkit.htm

I'm thinking that the H&R catalog shows a production date change, which may coincide with the start of 2006 production, but the person writing up the website just didn't know that. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you have an 05 Chris, any previous suspension setups should work without issue. Which is good for you, because the 06-07 suspension selection is pretty damn slim!

Not sure why FocusSport would list their cup kit like that. Maybe it'd be worth a toss contacting them and getting their input?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the reason they put that maybe is because in mid to late 2005 you could purchase an 06... so that may have something to do with it...

but in 06... the front struts got alittle taller and larger in diameter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts