Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start out by stating this is my first post. [thumb] My car is a stock 2005 Focus ZX4 ST that's just reached 114K - it's my daily driver and I'd like to improve the suspension. My father and I will be doing the install and in hopes of doing everything correctly, I've purchased the following:

- Prothane 6-1153-BL Black 20mm Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit
- KYB SM5169 Strut Mount & Bearing (QTY 2)
- Eibach 3588.840 Pro-Dampers Performance Shock Kit
- Vogtland 1.6" Lowering Springs (I am considering buying Eibach Sportline Springs instead - I feel the lower stance would be slightly more appealing.)

Here's where I need help.. I took a look under my car and noticed the rear lower control arm bolts are rusted and may need to be cut out. Since I don't have a shop/press to install new bushings I'll have to buy new Control Arms and Bolts.

Any recommendations on new control arms fully assembled? I've looked at the Dorman ones - Are they any good? I will need the bolts too.. Where can I buy these And if there are any parts missing from my shopping list I will need on order to complete the job Please let me know! Official Ford part for reference: (Ford PT#5500 ARM ASSY - Rear Suspension)

Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'll start out by stating this is my first post. [thumb] My car is a stock 2005 Focus ZX4 ST that's just reached 114K - it's my daily driver and I'd like to improve the suspension. My father and I will be doing the install and in hopes of doing everything correctly, I've purchased the following

- Prothane 6-1153-BL Black 20mm Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit
- KYB SM5169 Strut Mount & Bearing (QTY 2)
- Eibach 3588.840 Pro-Dampers Performance Shock Kit
- Vogtland 1.6" Lowering Springs (I am considering buying Eibach Sportline Springs instead - I feel the lower stance would be slightly more appealing.)

Here's where I need help.. I took a look under my car and noticed the rear lower control arm bolts are rusted and may need to be cut out. Since I don't have a shop/press to install new bushings I'll have to buy new Control Arms and Bolts.

Any recommendations on new control arms fully assembled? I've looked at the Dorman ones - Are they any good? I will need the bolts too.. Where can I buy these And if there are any parts missing from my shopping list I will need on order to complete the job Please let me know! Official Ford part for reference: (Ford PT#5500 ARM ASSY - Rear Suspension)

Thanks!
If your going to run the Eibach sporline springs= Just get the sportline system instead= springs & dampers that work together. Checkout Tirerack.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I had the same problem, dormans seem to be a good option. I have seen guys around here that didn't have to remove the LCA bolts though..not exactly sure how

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I might get the Moog RK641244 Control Arms.

I've already purchased the Eibach Pro Dampers listed above.. Will they be compatible with the Sportline springs? Also, reasonably priced places to purchase the Control Arm Bolts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks, I might get the Moog RK641244 Control Arms.

I've already purchased the Eibach Pro Dampers listed above.. Will they be compatible with the Sportline springs? Also, reasonably priced places to purchase the Control Arm Bolts?
Yea, the sportlines will go w/ the pro dampers. Hitup http://rockauto.com

·
Registered
459 Posts
For a moment I was "hey, cool, Vogtlands!" and then it was "bummer, he's ditching them for Eibachs..." I like their springs a lot. Vogtland. Haven't had Eibachs on anything.

Looking forward to pics though!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For a moment I was "hey, cool, Vogtlands!" and then it was "bummer, he's ditching them for Eibachs..." I like their springs a lot. Vogtland. Haven't had Eibachs on anything.

Looking forward to pics though!
Eibachs work great too. As like you^^^^ I haven't used Vogtland's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, this is excellent feedback! I'm looking through the Ford Diagrams and It looks like a lot of the Bolts/Nuts are somewhat standard (Ex: M12 x 75mm Bolt - M12 Nut) that I could buy cheaper elsewhere (Industrial supply retailers etc..) Is this possible?

Also, is the "Moog K100009 Cam Bolt Kit" (-1 to +1 Degree) good enough for the Sportline Springs >2" drop?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IF you replace the rear lower arm, cutting out old hdwe. would require new adjusting hdwe.. for the inner mounting (special bolts).

Once shocks are removed, arm can be lowered enough to carefully pry out the old springs. Compressor for the new springs is needed though, so you CAN use that for removal as well. Saves the hassle/expense of replacing arms, though you MAY find it's needed anyways for alignment.

Some do it this way & replace the front lower arms with adjustable ones to make alignment easier. Good time to consider this upgrade.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks, this is excellent feedback! I'm looking through the Ford Diagrams and It looks like a lot of the Bolts/Nuts are somewhat standard (Ex: M12 x 75mm Bolt - M12 Nut) that I could buy cheaper elsewhere (Industrial supply retailers etc..) Is this possible?

Also, is the "Moog K100009 Cam Bolt Kit" (-1 to +1 Degree) good enough for the Sportline Springs >2" drop?
For suspension bolts/nuts I'd use the ford ones. Have you checkout rockauto or central florida motorsports? You'll find with the sportline setup the alignment camber is going to be in spec. Mines at -1.6 degrees for the rear w/ no camber bolts or arms. Now a great up upgrade is the rear toe-links= adds a more positive feel to the rear & makes rear toe setting super easy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it. Ford it is! [twothumbs]

Order placed for Nuts/Bolts (Rear Lower Control Arms) $105+ geesh! It's all good, I'd rather plan ahead prevent these problems during the install. As for the camber, I'll take your word on it and keep an eye on this round of tires.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Of course you'd get a 4 wheel alignment to set the front & rear toe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course you'd get a 4 wheel alignment to set the front & rear toe.
Yep, but first I'll lower the front Crossmember a bit while I'm under there and replace the Front Stabilizer Bar Bushings. Any other recommendations (within reason) while I'm under there? Note: I replaced the Stabilizer Bar End Links a few months back. <<< This is what sparked my interest in the suspension.. Which led me to the Diagrams.. Which led me to getting all these fun parts! It'll be nice to hit a back road when this is all complete.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yep, but first I'll lower the front Crossmember a bit while I'm under there and replace the Front Stabilizer Bar Bushings. Any other recommendations (within reason) while I'm under there? Note: I replaced the Stabilizer Bar End Links a few months back. <<< This is what sparked my interest in the suspension.. Which led me to the Diagrams.. Which led me to getting all these fun parts! It'll be nice to hit a back road when this is all complete.
If your going to replace the sway bar bushings in the front, Why not install a pr of sway bars? Eibach has a great set= f22mm & r25mm. Comes w/ poly bushings btw. Eibach has the whole kit n kubble= springs/dampers & sway bars. Hit up Tirerack.[grinking]

·
Registered
202 Posts
If your going to replace the sway bar bushings in the front, Why not install a pr of sway bars? Eibach has a great set= f22mm & r25mm. Comes w/ poly bushings btw. Eibach has the whole kit n kubble= springs/dampers & sway bars. Hit up Tirerack.[grinking]

^don't listen to this guy, he'll make you broke in no time. I started out a few months ago with a new to me Focus. Now I have a basement full of parts waiting to be installed and some radical ideas in my head for when I get more money.

A daily driver was all I wanted. Then Felix comes along, unlike a real cat he never sleeps, just replies to every post telling people to buy more, more more!.

[histerical]

·
Registered
459 Posts
^don't listen to this guy, he'll make you broke in no time. I started out a few months ago with a new to me Focus. Now I have a basement full of parts waiting to be installed and some radical ideas in my head for when I get more money.

A daily driver was all I wanted. Then Felix comes along, unlike a real cat he never sleeps, just replies to every post telling people to buy more, more more!.

[histerical]

QFT. Well, FTC hasn't encouraged me to do anything, but the sentiment is true. And I've got some parts for my 320i that have been around for 10 years waiting to go on. Someday. The important thing is, WE HAVE THE PARTS!!!! [idea]

And my son has f/r Eibach bars on his car, drives really nice. And we're waiting to put Vogtland's on it (it's in the shop - for an eternity it seems). He's on SVT springs now, and with his 205/55-16s, it looks like it'll sit just perfect once the Vogtlands are on (YMMV).

As Darth Vader said, "give in to the mod side" (or something like that...).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

The op is wanting to replace his rubber front sway bar bushings. Why I don't know, but mentioned it, so I figured its a kinda big job, so why not swap out the bars. He's want to get a spring/damper kit anyhow, & you get a better price w/ bars, so why not? Its up to him or you for that matter. This a focus, wait till you want to mod a mustang or a 6.0 powerstroke. All my vehicles have always been DDer's btw.

·
Registered
202 Posts

The op is wanting to replace his rubber front sway bar bushings. Why I don't know, but mentioned it, so I figured its a kinda big job, so why not swap out the bars. He's want to get a spring/damper kit anyhow, & you get a better price w/ bars, so why not? Its up to him or you for that matter. This a focus, wait till you want to mod a mustang or a 6.0 powerstroke. All my vehicles have always been DDer's btw.
[rofl]

remember Felix I had parts in my basement before I bought the car. [giggle]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts