Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
General information that I would like to present first.
I am NOT a mechanic, I don't know a whole lot about cars (I can change my oil by myself and that's about the extent of my knowledge)
My father is a mechanic and can help me get information if needed. He, however, cannot hear the sound that I am describing due to age.

My Focus has 80,000 miles on it.
I've had this vehicle for just one year so far, and this has started happening within the last 4 months.

What happens/Description of issue:
When driving at low speeds (between 5 and 30 mph) I hear a high pitched whining/whistling noise and cannot detect from which side of my Focus it is coming from. This noise does increase in volume when shifting gears (automatic) I believe that would be 2nd gear (I am THAT bad with cars) around 20-25 mph. This also happens more when turning from a stop.
I don't exactly know what this may be, but would appreciate ANY suggestions that I may be able to bring to my father to help out with this issue and help resolve it.

Thanks,
Garbanaian

EDIT: Updates from replies.

My father has checked belts in the past but saw nothing wrong. Will advise to check again as this is another person who suggests the same things.

Only things done since the sound has started has been: Oil changes, and new tires. Tires were put on yesterday (the 28th) so this doesn't seem to be related to tires.

EDIT 2:
Will ask my father to check power steering and see if he has the ability to look into the transmission.

I had a friend ride with me really quick on my lunch and he did hear the sound (so I'm not going crazy)
He said it may have something to do with the break "squealers" perhaps.
He does state it's coming from the front end of the vehicle though.
I'm going to have my dad sit in with me since I can recreate the sound now.

It is most noticeable with the front windows down.
It happens most between 5 and 15 MPH when I'm accelerating pretty quickly rather than more gingerly. (Not flooring it, takes maybe 2-3 seconds to get to 15 mph when doing this)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would look at the belt and pulleys. Kinda sound like it COULD be a belt squeal. Also, is there any sort of rough idle, meaning does the car shake and shutter when sitting still or driving? If it does, you can start tracing vacuum lines, pcv hose, elbow and pipe.

Also, welcome to FF.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Has anything been done recently to the vehicle? I actually had a strange squeaking on my '09 when I bought it and it turned out that the dealership that I bought it from had bent the brake rotor dust shield when they change the brakes so it was rubbing very slightly on the rotor. I know that's a very uncommon situation but sometimes if something was done before the noise started that can give some direction as to where to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would look at the belt and pulleys. Kinda sound like it COULD be a belt squeal. Also, is there any sort of rough idle, meaning does the car shake and shutter when sitting still or driving? If it does, you can start tracing vacuum lines, pcv hose, elbow and pipe.
Also, welcome to FF.
I had a friend look at my vehicle previously who thought this could be what it was, but my dad checked all the belts and saw nothing wrong. I can have him double check since this is another person who suggests the same thing.

Has anything been done recently to the vehicle? I actually had a strange squeaking on my '09 when I bought it and it turned out that the dealership that I bought it from had bent the brake rotor dust shield when they change the brakes so it was rubbing very slightly on the rotor. I know that's a very uncommon situation but sometimes if something was done before the noise started that can give some direction as to where to go.
The only thing that has been done since the problem started is an oil change and new tires (New tires yesterday so I don't think that's it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts