1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Think of the engine suspended like a child sitting in a swing on swingset. Motor/trans is suspended on both ends from the top to be able to swing, it then is held in place by a lower trans end mount to not swing, like Dad holding the child's swing back higher in the air.

First link is trans upper mount driver side, second is motor upper mount passenger side, still should be one more trans lower to hold the whole thing from swinging. usually three in all, two trans and one motor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The passenger side motor mount is (Ford part number):

5S4Z6038CB BRACKET - INSULATOR MOUNTING

That second link, if it's meant to replicate the passenger side mount, will not work well for you. It is sort of correct, but you would have to remove the old mount from its mounting frame and mount this new one on, which is nigh impossible without something to bend the metal.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You might want to check with our OEM parts vendor, Village Ford right here on this site in the vendor section, then after you have their prices, shipping, part numbers, etc call your local dealer and compare prices. I'll bet the deal with Village will be better even considering the cost of shipping. We get great deals on OEM parts. The Ford part for the lower mount will come with a new bracket and bolts- IF that part is still in stock. Manufacturers don't make parts after 3 model generations so once the stock is gone, it's gone.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
..anyone know the part numbers for the other two mounts?
Guessing you already have those part numbers. Here is a link to a good How-To that Milton made recently for a 2007; part numbers shown at bottom. Pretty sure the parts and the process of replacing the mounts is the same on your 2005.

This is a good job for many Focus owners to do (DIY) and save money.

Check this out->
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZscV3OSDXPZHZTTlo3aW0tNWs/edit

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The how-to document was written by and is hosted by Milton, not me.

The parts are probably the correct types and are all OEM; good. I did not verify each one.

All are supplied by 3 different vendors but sold thru Amazon; good?

If I was you, I might just get them all from one supplier and prices will be similar or less. Contact this guy->

http://villageford.com/

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

FF member ID = VillageAndy
Andy Kochan
Village Ford Inc
23535 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48124
Local: 313-565-6891
Toll Free: 1-800-982-7278 FREE

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced all 3 with ford OEM parts and have developed a new problem. Shifts HARD into reverse and in 2nd/3rd(automatic) it has picked a bad vibration. Also did plugs and coils and the motor is smooth. When you put it in gear, you can see the engine shift positions. Is there an alignment on the mounts? one under the battery was torn in two and the large one on the Passenger side was shot(previous owner had used a dea part. Talk about junk!)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Shifts HARD into reverse
Hey Stripe! I remember you. Nice cool cloudy weather we are having huh?

My initial thought is DOGBONE! Jack-up the front and get the under car and see if that mount looks/feels OK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just replaced it, along with the other 2. Weather isn't helping but hey we could be in Boston tryin to do this!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Yes, I know you (or someone) just replaced it. Engine jumping/thumping into R is often/sometimes the Dogbone is dead, or is missing a mounting bolt <giggle>. Gotta go eyeball it first, then maybe eyeball the new drivers-side mount too?

After replacing all 3 mounts, did you notice any extra/unused bolts laying on the ground? -jk.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
that 21mm nut
While tightening that nut, I jacked-up the trans a tiny bit more, to help seat the trans INTO the mount... as opposed to having the nut do all the work; then completed by lowering the jack a tiny bit and tightening the 4 perimeter bolts.

Not saying that my way was right -or- that you did anything wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya know, I'll give that a shot. It won't make it worse (I hope.) Oh, and I'm reseating the new dogbone to be safe (checked the old one and yep, torn too, so all 3 were toast.) Is there an engine angle or some reference I should shoot for? Like should the dogbone sit level? Or does the engine look like it angles some to the back of the car? Should pixies come out of the exhaust when it runs right? Anything to look for?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Is there an engine angle or some reference I should shoot for?
Never heard of one, or how to check for it.

If I was you I might: Remove dogbone then re-seat the drivers-side mount, then re-install dogbone.

With dogbone removed, you can use a prybar (tire-iron or even your arm strength some) and swing the engine back and forth (almost like a child's swing set) about/at least 2 or 3 inches of swing, and look/listen for any problems during the swinging motion. I swung my engine about an inch (maybe two) to get the dogbone into place, but only had to swing it about an eighth of an inch to get the second bolt to slide in. BTW I did not remove the dogbone bracket, only the dogbone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, got the sparkles......colors are wrong, but hey it seems to be shifting correct and running great so... a new problem has arisen. As I accelerate, its getting a clunking, like a tire with a flat spot. Ideas of where to start? I'm thinking maybe cv joint, but none of the boots appear to be torn. If this thing was rear wheel drive, I wouldn't be so confused. My last trip down front wheel drive heaven/hell was a fiat 128 in the early 80's. NOT a good memory. I'll give you details at a later date.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
As I accelerate, its getting a clunking, like a tire with a flat spot. Ideas of where to start?
My idea is to take it to a local garage and ask for a FREE inspection. With the car up on a rack and professionals eyeballing it, they might quickly I.D what's wrong. Most shops will do a quick inspection for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts