Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - New to the forum. Looking for a little bit of advice.
I recently purchased a 2005 1.8D Ford Focus. Have noticed that the rev- counter speedo and display can drop or zero within the first 10 mins of driving the car. It does not effect the driving of the car and once warmed up there are no issues.

I understand this is a common fault with these models due to the type of solder used on the circuit boards.

My question is will this get worse? and secondly what's the average cost to repair / re solder?

many thanks

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
that is correct actually its a common issue with most fords, my F-150 had it where it would cause my odometer to show all 0's or absolutely nothing and same with my windstar the gauges would just randomly all go to max it was a cold solder joint on both.. if you know how to solder just pull the cluster out remove the screws behind it and just pop the board out and look at the main connector i used a de-soldering gun ( a solder sucker will work) remove the solder from all the pins except the 2 ends and apply new solder and i would recommend using 60/40 tin lead as the solder on it is pure tin and pure garbage. once you reflow new solder on the pins clean off the 2 pins on the ends and apply new solder.. leaving the pins on the end holds the connector in place and your not fighting to hold it straight

below is my cluster but the grid of pins belongs to my LCD Odometer im using to show what i mean about leaving the end pins i usually reflow any and every throughhole connector/pin

total time taken about 45 minutes with removal repair and installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts