Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum. My 2005 Focus ZXW has a 5 speed manual transmission. With the arrival of Cool weather, the transmission is very stiff when shifting until the car warms up. Once it has warmed up, it shifts perfectly as it always has. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? It has never done this before and it is concerning. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mister_Vic

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,599 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. My 2005 Focus ZXW has a 5 speed manual transmission. With the arrival of Cool weather, the transmission is very stiff when shifting until the car warms up. Once it has warmed up, it shifts perfectly as it always has. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? It has never done this before and it is concerning. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mister_Vic
Time to change the fluid.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You also need to flush the brake fluid and bleed the clutch slave cylinder after flushing as the clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir. If the brake fluid is dark that means it is full of water.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Every manual car I've ever had is stiff in the cold. But when I had a mazda3 and switched to full synthetic MTX fluid it made a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I purchased the fluids today. I plan to change everything this weekend. I'll update the forum when I get it all done. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I was on the forum. We had a death in our family and that has taken a toll on my time. Anyway, I changed the transmission fluid and also changed the brake fluid. WOW! That made a HUGE difference in the shifting. The brake fluid was black as coal and the transmission fluid was dark as well. It's been several years since I bled brake lines, but it went really well. One thing that did happen with all of this; about a week after I changed the brake fluid, the clutch master cylinder started leaking brake fluid into the cabin. I ordered a new part and changed it out. That was a not so charming job, but I got it in and it works fine now. I really hate the clips that Ford used to hold the clutch hydraulic lines in place. My fingers are too fat to get back up to the firewall to get them in place. My daughter got them in for me and I used a long pair of needle nose pliers to force them in. It worked and the car is back to running well again. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I was on the forum. We had a death in our family and that has taken a toll on my time. Anyway, I changed the transmission fluid and also changed the brake fluid. WOW! That made a HUGE difference in the shifting. The brake fluid was black as coal and the transmission fluid was dark as well. It's been several years since I bled brake lines, but it went really well. One thing that did happen with all of this; about a week after I changed the brake fluid, the clutch master cylinder started leaking brake fluid into the cabin. I ordered a new part and changed it out. That was a not so charming job, but I got it in and it works fine now. I really hate the clips that Ford used to hold the clutch hydraulic lines in place. My fingers are too fat to get back up to the firewall to get them in place. My daughter got them in for me and I used a long pair of needle nose pliers to force them in. It worked and the car is back to running well again. Thanks again for the info.
(y)

Thanks for the follow up. Did you use the Ford (Motorcraft) or aftermarket fluid?
When you drained the old fluid could you tell if the quantity had been down? (spec is 2.1 quarts)
Thanks
Paul

Reactions: Mister_Vic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(y)

Thanks for the follow up. Did you use the Ford (Motorcraft) or aftermarket fluid?
When you drained the old fluid could you tell if the quantity had been down? (spec is 2.1 quarts)
Thanks
Paul
I used the Ford fluid. It was on the shelf at my local parts house. The only thing that I noted about the old fluid was that it appeared slightly darker in color compared to the new fluid. I took that to mean that it was used. The quantity was slightly over 2 quarts, so that seems right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts