Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks! How do I fix the windshield wiper park position on 2005 Focus? The wiper goes way past the windshield. I took the wiper arm off and reseated it, but that didn't do the trick.

See the photo:
http://i.imgur.com/nOwz2kO.jpg

Also, I don't know if it's related, but when I use the single wipe, the wiper will stop exactly when I let go of the switch. I have to hold it down, until the wiper is down all the way. In all the other settings the wiper will return to park if I turn it off mid-wipe. Change the relay?

Ah, now I found this article, seems like the same issue:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/145761-how-intermittent-wiper-problem-fix-aka-tsb-fix.html

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Relay replacement fix works thru '04, system changed at some point after that. I've seen it mentioned as different in '07 for sure, may be in '05 as well because that is the same basic model (Mk1.5).

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Thanks Sailor. I just went back and read some of that How To.

I will delete the bad info in my first reply. The motor does have a switch (and "smarts") inside it that performs proper blade parking, but the common parking problem is resolved after relay replacement.

FWIW - the motor (not the whole system) is the same from 2000 to 2007.

·
Registered
321 Posts
While I hope that it's a case of relay replacement, I don't see how the other wiper modes can work well when they are also using the same relay. Infact, the single wipe uses exactly the same circuit as normal wipe (position #2). The only thing that is different are the contacts that are being closed and opened in the wiper stalk switch. Just something to consider if the new relay doesn't solve it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new relay isn't expensive, so I ordered it. I'll see how well I do with the installation.

But what about the park position problem? Still think it's the motor? But I don't think the wipers go all the way to the high position either. So it seems like the system is skewed somehow. But I'm not sure how to adjust it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Definitely, definitely the relay.

I have done this exact repair on my 2002 and my 2005.

The new relay will "tick" I think the old one had some damping?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts