Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this brief: I purchased an 05 Focus 4 cyl over this past spring with relatively low miles (~80k) and no issues aside from the typical worn out engine mounts (which were replaced straight away). I went to start the car about a month or so ago and it cranked, started, then made a couple clunk clunk (best I can remember/describe it over the internet :/) then died. Tried to start it again and the best description I can give as to what it's doing is the starter engages but doesn't have the a&$ to turn the engine over. Hooked my truck up to it to try to jump at one point and the most I could get was getting the engine to turn over once or twice, i.e. it's not the battery. Things I have tried:

-Took battery in for testing, passed test over rated CA/CCA
-Cleaned up battery terminals (even tho it didn't need it, figured might as well while the battery is out)
-Tried new starter relays in the fuse box under the hood
-Checked oil for metal shavings, specs, etc: was unable to find any when checking through the dipstick (just in case the engine went poof)

I'm looking for the next best things to check from those more in the know with these lil cars (I'm normally a Chevy truck guy but when a $500 "beater with a heater" in good shape comes along to get to work and back, how could I pass that up!). I had thought about releasing tension on the serpentine belt and cranking it to see if the alternator, AC system, etc had failed adding extra drag to the system. If that didn't change anything, then my mind starts to wonder to possible timing chain/belt (not sure what this motor has) failure which I'd rather not deal with. Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI for anyone that may be interested in the future, I figured out what the problem is.

Started by removing tension on the serpentine belt and trying to crank it over. Fired right up. Checked all belt driven components: power steering pump, pulley spun fine. AC system, pulley spun fine. Alternator, pulley is seized solid. Alternator took a dump (turns out pretty hard, once I got it removed I saw that the housing was cracked pretty bad). So, off to Napa for a new alternator to replace the old. Btw, as I'm waiting for the new alternator to get in this afternoon, I want to comment that the alternator is a b*&[email protected] to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm understanding you right, the car won't crank...Bad starter? Hit it with a rubber mallet...

Car has a rubber timing belt. It isn't too difficult to remove the top cover of the belt for an inspection.
See my comment previous to yours ;)

And the starter was engaging, just not able to crank the engine over. Turns out a seized alternator will have that effect on things.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,308 Posts
FYI for anyone that may be interested in the future, I figured out what the problem is.

Started by removing tension on the serpentine belt and trying to crank it over. Fired right up. Checked all belt driven components: power steering pump, pulley spun fine. AC system, pulley spun fine. Alternator, pulley is seized solid. Alternator took a dump (turns out pretty hard, once I got it removed I saw that the housing was cracked pretty bad). So, off to Napa for a new alternator to replace the old. Btw, as I'm waiting for the new alternator to get in this afternoon, I want to comment that the alternator is a b*&[email protected] to replace.
Nope. Very easy out the bottom if you remove the anti roll mount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts