Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new member here. Long time Focus owner, have had four of them over the years. I love the Focus because fun to drive and also relatively inexpensive to operate and fix, lot's of parts out there. I recently bought a new one, 05 Focus SES Wagon ZXW, 77,000 miles, one owner. Looks in great shape but have an oil leak somewhere so have to look at that, rats... Paid about $5,000. I love the wagons because you can haul stuff and you know the price of trucks now days... This one has a traction button on the console, first time I have seen that, doubt I will ever use it, living in Florida, lol
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Plant Car Vehicle Gear shift White Motor vehicle Speedometer Plant Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car seat cover Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Car seat cover Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Grey Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nice wagon - Im jealous! The TC button was on the center console near the gear shift lever on all 2001-2007 Focus (not available on 2000) that had TC.

Paul

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,308 Posts
Nice wagon - Im jealous! The TC button was on the center console near the gear shift lever on all 2001-2007 Focus (not available on 2000).

Paul
I don't think so. I've had 2 out of 9 foci that have had a traction control button on the console. The other 7 did not.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I don't think so. I've had 2 out of 9 foci that have had a traction control button on the console. The other 7 did not.
I edited my original response to be clear. I interpreted the OP as saying he had not been aware that the TC button was on the console (and assumed he was only talking about MK1/MK1.5).

I am not a saying that all 2001-2007 Focus had TC - actually the vast majority did not. What I am saying is that for all 2001-2007 Focus that had TC the button was on the center console near the gear shift lever.

Paul

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I edited my original response to be clear. I interpreted the OP as saying he had not been aware that the TC button was on the console (and assumed he was only talking about MK1/MK1.5).

I am not a saying that all 2001-2007 Focus had TC - actually the vast majority did not. What I am saying is that for all 2001-2007 Focus that had TC the button was on the center console near the gear shift lever.

Paul
Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.
And just to be certain I assume you meant that 2 of your 9 had TC - button location not withstanding.

Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
And just to be certain I assume you meant that 2 of your 9 had TC - button location not withstanding.

Paul
Yes. 2 of 7 had traction control. 5 had no button or traction control. One of my 04 SVT's has the tc button. My other 04 foes not. It will burn rubber easily with no tc light coming on. It was an option on any focus. Not common here in the south. My 06 ZX5 auto had the TC but no winter package which I thought odd. My other 06 a ZX3 manual had no TC or button.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
421 Posts
Is it possible that traction control was only available on automatic transmission models? I rented one years ago in 2003 but my manual transmission doesn’t have that.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Is it possible that traction control was only available on automatic transmission models? I rented one years ago in 2003 but my manual transmission doesn’t have that.
Thats a good question. The only thing that the original Ford dealer brochures say is that the optional Traction Control requires the optional ABS - but nothing transmission specific. Im fairly certain that the TC works off the ABS system - not something inside the transmission - so it should not matter AT vs MT.

Paul

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
421 Posts
Thats a good question. The only thing that the original Ford dealer brochures say is that the optional Traction Control requires the optional ABS - but nothing transmission specific. Im fairly certain that the TC works off the ABS system - not something inside the transmission - so it should not matter AT vs MT.

Paul
Yes you’re right: no ABS, no TC. As for transmission, not sure because in lower gears, it could be an issue.

I have an Escape turbo 2014 with the sports transmission, I’ll try it in third gear when we get some snow in a few months!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Traction control works off the abs but retards the timing to compensate. All of my foci have been abs equipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Concerning the traction control I've owned a 01, 02, and 06 focus previously and none of them had the TC button. This is also the first time I've owned an SES model so it might have something to do with the trim? Searching Google, SES might mean Special Edition Sport. It also has other features i've never had before like fog lights, overhead storage compartment for glasses and garage door opener, and a tachometer. Neat little car so hopefully I'll have a lot of fun with it and not too much repair, lol.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Car Hood Grille Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior Fixture Vehicle Speedometer Plant Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Car Vehicle Gear shift Automobile pedal Speedometer Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,244 Posts
Concerning the traction control I've owned a 01, 02, and 06 focus previously and none of them had the TC button. This is also the first time I've owned an SES model so it might have something to do with the trim? Searching Google, SES might mean Special Edition Sport. It also has other features i've never had before like fog lights, overhead storage compartment for glasses and garage door opener, and a tachometer. Neat little car so hopefully I'll have a lot of fun with it and not too much repair, lol.
Welcome to the forum.
It looks extremely clean especially for the year. 77k miles is on the lower side for mileage so hopefully you get many 1000s with no trouble.
The SES was an upscale trim package that came with many extra features as standard. If a Focus from the era was going to be equipped with traction control then the SES would a likely trim package to have it.
I totally agree with the trucks being to much $. This is the reason why I own a hatchback for my DD so I can throw a bunch of work stuff in it. I literally keep hundreds of lbs in my car at all times for work and I can fit quite a bit. An older wagon will fit even more.
I also only buy cars with fog lights or at least the particular ones that have the option of easily adding a dealer installed kit/factory parts. I have to have fogs as I do a lot of night driving and the factory ones always look better and have the integrated switch.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

View attachment 311521 View attachment 311520 View attachment 311518 View attachment 311519 View attachment 311522
For all 2005 Focus body styles except the 4 door sedan the SES trim was the highest trim level available. Traction Control (TC) was optional on SE and SES trim levels. TC required ABS which was also optional on SE and SES trim levels. At any trim level it was a fairly rare option. Fog lights, Speed Control, 6 disc CD player, tilt/telescoping steering column, leather wrapped steering wheel, column mounted radio controls, and tachometer were standard on SES trim level.

Paul

·
Registered
324 Posts
Great photos. Would love to find a wagon in that condition, nothing was ever available when I was looking. I've seen a few loaded wagons with moonroofs (which I really like having...). They are rare, I've even saw a sunroofed wagon with a manual trans., but they are out there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’m impressed the cover for the power adapter to the left of the radio is still there!!

Kudos to the original owner for not losing g it!!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

View attachment 311521 View attachment 311520 View attachment 311518 View attachment 311519 View attachment 311522
Possibly. My old 07 ZX3 SES,no sunroof, had an automatic and no TC. My 06 ZX5 auto, SES with TC, Sunroof. My 06 ZX3,SES,manual, no TC.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
421 Posts
When I bought my “brand new” SE in 2003, they told me it was a SE Sport but it is only designated as an SE in the back. There was also the SVT model that had more stuff but I don’t like leather seats (but I considered buying it). I think the SVT had ABS brakes but I’m not sure. It definitely had 16 inches wheels also and heated seats I think.

So my SE Sport 2093 came with the rear spoiler, fog lights, electric windows, electric trunk, CD sound system, 15 inches mags, zetec engine, cruise control and standard transmission but it lacked the sports rocker trims, doesn’t have leather and heated seats (but I have no use for that), no ABS also, which doesn’t bother me the least. I put my hands on the 16 inches mags some years later in an exchange so I have now two sets of mags.

Traction control was in its infancy at the time. Gee, when I bought my Focus, I was 39 yo, I am now closing on 58!

And to the OP, great looking car. My 2003 has 65k miles on it.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When I bought my “brand new” SE in 2003, they told me it was a SE Sport but it is only designated as an SE in the back.
The trim levels and designations were totally different 2000-2004 vs 2005-2007.

In 2003 for sedans the trim levels were (in increasing standard content) LX, LX Premium, SE, SE Comfort, and ZTS. Then again that is for US models and you are in Canada which may have been different.

Paul

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
421 Posts
The trim levels and designations were totally different 2000-2004 vs 2005-2007.

In 2003 for sedans the trim levels were (in increasing standard content) LX, LX Premium, SE, SE Comfort, and ZTS. Then again that is for US models and you are in Canada which may have been different.

Paul
Canada and US usually have similar designations but I’ve seen a few differences over the years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts