Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The knob that selects where the air comes out broke the other day. Right now it's stuck on the top level vents coming out, which isn't the worst place, but I'd like to get it fixed before the weather becomes too bad. There was a significant amount of resistance for the past year or two when I was turning it, but it recently snapped. The knob itself moves, just nothing else is moving with it so it's stuck on the current setting Is this easy to fix and if so, how would I do it and where can I get the part?

I did a bit of research and it seems that all I'd do is remove the knob with pliers, pulling straight back, then replace the unit?

Thanks

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
The original problem isn't the knob itself. To get it back to where you could change it but had tension, you replace the HVAC controller behind the actual knob. It's all plastic, and snaps under a load, so it's broke.

But if you don't fix the actual problem, it will just happen again.

I have an '07 with the same issue. i took it to the dealer and they said that the control wire for the selector was bad as well as the selector flap which is what caused the tension in the first place. WAY more than I wanted to spend so I just deal with it. My Air recirculation option doesn't work either. The light on the button comes on, but the, what I'll call the air damn dosen't move. It's behind the glove box and I manually pushed it to the recirculate side.

How much did the dealer want?
~$800 - mostly labor

My plan, replace the dash with one from a 00-04 focus including everything behind the dash. Or attempt an 08-11 interior swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2007 is sticking between Defrost and Defrost/floor. Also between Panel and Panel/floor. Sometimes it will work just fine, but mostly you will have to turn the knob between them several times until the doors move.
I have access to a borescope and looked inside today from the dash vents and can not see anything binding inside the 2 deflector doors. Maybe just a little bit of sticking because of the rubber used. Any way to go in and clean them without spending the $300-$400 just to take it out?

Is there a timing gear for the operation of both doors?

Anybody have a parts view or visual breakdown of the HVAC box?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Replacing the 07 dash with an 00-04 dash (plus the steel frame to which the cover attaches) will not help with the OP's problem, since all of the heater/ac controls, other than the knobs, are the same, and not changed. The 00-04 dash definitely looks better IMO. I have done just that with my 05 ST, and even though it was a PITA, it was worth the effort. Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's almost two months since the first post; have you solved the issue yet? Have you taken the HVAC out?

I changed the lights in my HVAC.. unfortunately, I only have one bad picture from when I did some radio work, and in the picture the hvac is behind a bunch of wires, not worth sharing. In the meantime - you might just have to replace the control piece behind the knob; it shouldn't be that difficult to do yourself. To take apart the back of the HVAC, you should only need a Phillip's head screwdriver, and maybe a small flat head. Your best bet for getting a new piece is visiting the junk yard, or try RockAuto.com (if no luck with those, just look around FF or search the internet.)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The main problem i've seen is the control box where the knobs turn the cable which turns the gears for the vent selector it gets into a bind. I've removed the box and filled it with some Dielectric grease hoping it would smooth the operation and it didn't. They have plastic gears which probably doesn't help any from temperature changes. Hopefully a solution can be found i've broke a cable and 2 knobs from this problem. Cables can be bought from Ford or Tousley for about $20 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts