Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 2005 ZX3 with the 2.0 duratec and manual trans and 164k miles. Currently the car is more or less undrivable, but still starts and idles fine, well idle speed is a little inconsistent. However, the car wont take off from a stop under about 3k rpms, and then must be kept in high rpms to drive. Also when you hit the gas the car bogs or doesn't respond even in neutral and takes some feathering to get back into high rpms. I just did spark plugs and found I need to do the valve cover gasket, but I don't know if the oil leaking into the spark plug wells is the issue as the plug contacts still looked clean. Other ideas I was having were a bad fuel filter or a bad tps. Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
That is not really a drivability issue, but is more an engine health issue.

The leaking valve cover gasket and the oil inside the spark plug wells is a sign of poor maintenance -or- work is needed to get the engine in better health.

... when you hit the gas the car bogs or doesn't respond even in neutral and takes some feathering to get back into high rpms...
Engine health issue. Review the basics of engine performance = engine compression, spark, fuel (flow & pressure) and air inlet.

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? Scan the OBDII for Codes. This is a free service at most car part stores.

Gd Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CEL, engine idles smoothly and makes no odd noises. I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket, clean contacts, and make sure the grounds are good tomorrow and see if it improves.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Thanks for the update. Let us know how your repairs go, & the results of your repairs. Other FF people will hopefully also post here, to help you even more.

Your engine problem/s has a very wide net of potential problems. More details & more symptoms from you help us, that can help you.

As you go forward, please refer back to the basic engine stuff; compression, spark, fuel and air.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Even though no CEL put a scan tool on it and look at basic parameters in live data PIDs: RFP, ST/LT FTs, O2 sensor output voltages, IGN ADV, coolant temp, etc. Otherwise you are just guessing.

BTW was there any change after new spark plugs? How many miles on the coils?

Sometimes Fords can be 'lazy' about posting OBD misfire codes.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So update, no improvement with new plugs, also tried new TPS and new fuel filter. Starting to think the fuel pump went out, as now the car will barely idle. I'm thinking fuel issue as new plugs did nothing and car would still idle smoothly before . I also tried both the old and new plugs after it began to run worse and old vs new plugs made no difference. The fuel pump was replaced about 3 years ago, and I don't believe the mechanic used a factory pump.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Good that you replaced the fuel filter. That filter replacement is often neglected until too late, and causes a fuel pump failure ((which might apply here)).

As mentioned previously, you need to check/monitor FP pressure via scan tool.

Separately, if you unplug the fuel supply hose at the fuel rail, it should piss-out into a bucket like a horse going pee, ->once you turn the car key to On. Strong flow rate = a healthy fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can try replacing the ignition coils. I've had this happen on my Mazda Protege when it would idle fine but once you started driving it would be really jerky - almost felt like the engine wanted to die. Usually you'll also get CEL after a while or the computer could already have some pending codes that you can read with OBD reader.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yesterday while i was driving a red light appears on dash i pulled of the road and on exhibit its says engine structure fault. I try to start the car and it did not start please help what could be the trouble because i doubt if it really water in fuel.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yesterday while i was driving a red light appears on dash i pulled of the road and on exhibit its says engine structure fault. I try to start the car and it did not start please help what could be the trouble because i doubt if it really water in fuel.
PLEASE start a new thread
In the new thread PLEASE tell us what year/model/engine/trans US/Euro

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New fuel pump, new pressure regulator, no improvement and still no CEL. The only time the CEL has ever came on in this car was for a lean bank one condition and it shut off after ensuring the boot on the intake was tight. Car will sometimes start and die and when this happens I can hear some rapid clicks from the engine bay. Only other things I can even think of are injectors or maybe an O2 sensor. I'll try and get my hands on a scan tool and see what it tells me

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dude, start your own thread, its RUDE to use someone elses thread for YOUR help.

also fill out "what do i drive" under "user CP" so we can help you, otherwise we dont know what your car is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts