Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's 2005 Duratec wagon started making a noise and she took it in to her Ford Dealership. I didn't get to talk to them but the estimate says "exhaust broken @ flex pipe. Appears manifold, cat (cat converter?) and flexpipe are one piece." $2600.

Is this just dealer service markup or what? My mom doesn't want to give up her wagon and it only has 90k on it. Is this something a small local shop could tackle? Would this involve removing the engine?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
There are less expensive aftermarket replacements (much less).

That's a part which is seldom replaced with a factory piece, similar to the exh. system as a whole. Try pricing a factory exh. (if avail. currently at all) along with the labor to drop the rear suspension for it's installation (put on first at the factory). It's almost NEVER done, so the price for doing so is astronomical.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
try rockauto.com it will be listed under Exhaust>Cat converter. They are priced from $280-700.

Its something you can do on your own in a couple of hours but expect lots of rusted bolts if the thing is falling apart currently. Try some local shops or muffler places, see what they are quoting for it installed. Cant imagine itd take a shop more than two hours of labor..An exhuast place should be able to weld up/install any misc exhaust length needed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked over replacement options and the best seems to be the OBX exhaust header. According to other FF posts I should also get the motor mounts replaced to prevent repeat failures.

The only other question I have is regarding the catalytic converter. I can't get under the car and see if the cat can be separated from the exhaust header because of recent injuries. How would the new OBX header connect to the old cat?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
What particular header are you looking at?

Many don't use the CAT at all, so not emissions compliant. (workarounds to pass inspection where physical check isn't strict)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Like Roger mentioned, you'll need a in line conveter after the flex, to run a header. The oem mani/cat is one piece. Cost effective would be look for one in a wrecking yard. Possibly a muffler shop could change out the flex or flanges. Have a muffler shop, check it out 1st.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
And I forgot he was looking at a duratec with the '02 profile for a different car NO headers that can keep the CAT on those.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the OBX kit I was looking at from an eb-ay auction. OBX Racing Sports SS Exhaust Manifold Header 03-11 Ford Focus 2.0L 2.3L Duratec seller seller dailod

Would it be possible to chop the exhaust line before the cat and weld on a mating bracket to the cat for this kit? I'd rather not have to use a cat delete but if its the easy way then so be it.

Its a 2005 2.0L Duratec since I didn't list the full engine info.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If you look at yours or a picture of the stock header you can see the original CAT as part of the header.

That performance replacement has it's first junction far past the location of the original CAT, adding one would have to be after the flex and isn't that simple to do.

Welding a replacement flex to the existing header as mentioned earlier might be the cheapest repair.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Would ''mom'' want to deal w/ the tone, a header equipped car makes? Unless you want to run 2 mufflers & a resonator & then your looking at a flex back system also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts