Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the vehicle with 1 key...went to dealer...$124 for 2nd key...so with 2 legit keys I ordered 2 transponder keys on ebay, not the extreme cheapies, but not high end either.

I was planning on cutting out the chip and taping to ignition cowling and use simple metal keys....however, the locksmith was unsuccessful with cutting both. so...

Can I not just go through the 3rd key programming sequence, but hold the new key near the ignition and program it as a third key, while turning the ignition with a metal key.? Don't seem to get the beep confirmation with various sets of instructions. Can't turn the ignition (or even door) with the new key but it must be the proximity that ensures the programming?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what is the benefit of going with simple metal keys if you already bought the transponder ones? By leaving the transponder there permanently it defeats the anti-theft.
You should be able to self program your new keys as long as they are cut, i think they have to be in the ignition but I am not 100% positive, I've never tried doing what you are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always like to have multiple keys...in my gym bag, etc. The newly cut keys won't fit in the ignition. As far as the anti-theft aspect....who is going to steal a 2005 Focus?...maybe in Seattle...

·
Registered
10 Posts
ha ha you'd be surprised. any car will get ripped off if it's easy to do.
You should be able to return the keys if they don't fit. Every time I've had a key cut, I make sure they work before i leave the locksmith (I always take the car there)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually bought a couple of cut keys from a locksmith on ebay a few years ago too for my Ranger, same situation, only got one with the truck. They worked great... the seller was 'wolfsecurityhardware'

You should still be able to contact the seller and get it worked out. They should pay the shipping back since it's their error... paypal has your back on this kind of stuff. you paid for a service that you did not receive. If they are a credible business they will take care of it...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For convenience in your programming attempt, try taping the cut metal key & the new "chipped" key heads together (opposite directions of course).

The programming sequence has to be done fairly rapidly, so it would be easier not to need a couple hands at once to do it.

If the new ones have the right chip, that should work to program one. "chirp" doesn't always happen from some reports - don't depend on it anyways as you go through the process. Just try the new key by itself after running the three through in sequence.

Strange to mess up two cutting them, double sided is tougher than single sided but not like the "laser cut" style that needs a special milling machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts