Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,
I have a 2005 Focus 2.0L Duratec, 204K kilometers, I'm having a hesitation and power loss between 3000RPM and 5000RPM. Some times it goes back to its normal power after 5000RPM up to rev limit and some times I just feel that there is something holding the car back!
What I have already did:
1) Replaced Spark plugs and coils
2) Replaced Absolute pressure sensor
3) Replaced IAC Valve
4) Replaced MAF sensor
5) Oil and Oil filter and fuel filter
I took a look at the catalytic converter using a camera that goes inside the O2 sensor hole, the honey comb looks in good shape !!!
the fun part is that there is NO CEL :(
I'm thinking about the fuel pump, but i'm not sure!!
Did anyone faced a similar problem ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I press on the clutch (after driving for a while and the car is already warm) the car idles at 1500 RPM and will take 15-20 seconds to drop down to 750-800 !!
Could it be TPS ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,
I had one of those ELM327 connected to my Foci, and I got a P2006 "Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed" Code.
This may have caused the power loss problems that I was speaking about in the first post, as the flaps are always closed and the engine is not breathing!
Did anyone faced the same problem ?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not an uncommon problem as they age, mine was simply a split vacuum hose to the actuator - cheap fix once found.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello,
I checked the vacuum hose and it looks ok. The thumb flaps valve is moving when I apply pressure to the vacuum hose that go into the intake. I will change the imrc sensor and see if there is any change :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There is an electrical solenoid that controls vacuum to the actuator, the sensor that tells the computer the IMRC position is part of the actuator.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi again,
I had one of those ELM327 connected to my Foci, and I got a P2006 "Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed" Code.
This may have caused the power loss problems that I was speaking about in the first post, as the flaps are always closed and the engine is not breathing!
Did anyone faced the same problem ?
Strange. I have seen many P2004 IMRC Stuck Open, but never a P2006 IMRC Stuck Closed.

With engine on, the IMRC flaps are normally closed and only open when you step fairly hard on the gas, something like 2500 to 3000 rpm. When working normal, you can watch the IMRC actuator move up then back down if you punch the throttle cable or gas pedal. If you see the actuator moving up and down & have a P2006, the actuator and the solenoid are working normal, but the switch inside the actuator is not; or the wiring to/from the actuator & PCM is defective.

IMRC closed and engine "not breathing" is normal. Sounds stupid, but this is totally normal. However, yes, it needs to OPEN when your quickly accelerating (stepping hard on the gas).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Marde, I disconnected the vacuum hose from the intake and now i get a P2004 stuck open code..
The car runs way better at high RPM and worst at low RPM. Sounds logic!
So the problem is related to the IMRC I guess.
The question now, knowing that the flaps are moving normally and are not blocked/broken.. what is most likely to go down ?? Solenoid or control valve ?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks for the reply Marde, I disconnected the vacuum hose from the intake and now i get a P2004 stuck open code..
The car runs way better at high RPM and worst at low RPM. Sounds logic!
So the problem is related to the IMRC I guess.
The question now, knowing that the flaps are moving normally and are not blocked/broken.. what is most likely to go down ?? Solenoid or control valve ?
Replace the solenoild as those go out. Happened to me a few yrs ago. The solenoid controls the imrc aka tumble flaps.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Replace the solenoild as those go out. Happened to me a few yrs ago. The solenoid controls the imrc aka tumble flaps.
Yes, the solenoids do fail. However... IF Nannou has confirmed the actuator does toggle Up (when grabbing the throttle and quickly rev'ing above 2500 rpm) and then goes back Down after the throttle rev, this proves the solenoid is OK.

Without removing the intake manifold from the car, you can't be too sure about the health of the tumble flaps. I doubt anything is wrong, other than the normal stuff; they are loose, rattling and making noise.

The PCM "knows" the IMRC is open or closed because of a switch (actually it is a resistor, but let's not discuss it atm) inside the actuator.

If you see the actuator moving up and down & have a P2006, the actuator and the solenoid are working normal, but the switch inside the actuator is not; or the wiring to/from the actuator & PCM is defective.

Pic has a good view of the actuator. Top right side of pic shows the actuator arm that moves when the system is opening or closing the IMRC flaps.
Pic is from ->http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238575

Have you inspected/removed/reconnected the electrical connector on the actuator yet?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
On second thought... The solenoid could be "slow" to respond (therefore bad) and the PCM sees this as DTC P2006. Anything is possible right?

Something unique about IMRC is that once it fails (example of Failure is-> I disconnect the electrical connector at the solenoid and rev the engine) the PCM quits trying to get it to work; even if I reconnect the connector at the solenoid, the system stays unresponsive. The system will not function until after the engine has been turned off. This happens on my car and when setting a P2004 DTC. The OP has a P2006 and I think he said his IMRC continues to operate the actuator up and down.... hmmmmm? -interesting. Like the P2004, I would have guessed that a P2006 would also render the IMRC stuck or not moving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you inspected/removed/reconnected the electrical connector on the actuator yet?
No, not yet but I'm planning to do that tomorrow.

And if I'm loosing high end power that means that the flaps are really closed when I Rev my engine,and by saying the flaps are moving normally, I mean that I was able to move them by hand (easily), and by applying vacuum from the vacuum hose. Sorry for the confusion.

If only the switch inside the actuator is broken (and the flaps are moving), there should be no power loss but the PCM will read a wrong value and report that the flaps are stuck closed! Correct me if i'm wrong.

After driving the car for 4-5 Kilometers with the vacuum hose disconnected (I put a rubber cover on the intake plug) a P2004 IMRC stuck open Code was thrown. That means that the PCM receives a correct information from the switch inside the actuator!

Tomorrow I will do some tests and post back here [wrenchin] :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On second thought... The solenoid could be "slow" to respond (therefore bad) and the PCM sees this as DTC P2006. Anything is possible right?

Something unique about IMRC is that once it fails (example of Failure is-> I disconnect the electrical connector at the solenoid and rev the engine) the PCM quits trying to get it to work; even if I reconnect the connector at the solenoid, the system stays unresponsive. The system will not function until after the engine has been turned off. This happens on my car and when setting a P2004 DTC. The OP has a P2006 and I think he said his IMRC continues to operate the actuator up and down.... hmmmmm? -interesting. Like the P2004, I would have guessed that a P2006 would also render the IMRC stuck or not moving.
4 weeks ago, When I started feeling the problem I was only loosing power between 3000RPM and 4000RPM, Then between 3000RPM and 5000RPM...
Now I randomly lose all high end power up to rev limit !!
So maybe the solenoid is dying slowly [gunfire]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again,

The IMRC solenoid was stuck, I removed the part and found that there is 2 air entry/exit (Perpendicular to each other), and a third one covered with a Cap (Next to the connector).
I sprayed some WD-40 inside these holes and used a air compressor to clean everything.

Now when I rev the car over 2500-3000 RPM, the actuator in moving again :)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The IMRC solenoid was stuck,

I sprayed some WD-40 inside these holes and used a air compressor to clean everything.

Now when I rev the car over 2500-3000 RPM, the actuator in moving again :)
Wow that's cool. Don't think I have ever heard of someone fixing an IMRC solenoid by cleaning it. Good job. [headbang]

BTW lots of my guesses and discussion earlier was based on "the actuator was moving" during the P2006 DTC. My guess (now) is that the actuator was not/sometimes not moving during the P2006 DTC. Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts