Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and not sure about reinstalling the original gasket plate that forms part of the upper heat shield. The new gasket is standard and nothing like the original metal plate that is sandwiched in between a thin metal "E" seal type gaskets. I was going to reuse original & sprayed with high temperature copper gasket. Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Post in the Duratec page. You will have better luck with an answer. I would help but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Interesting. Are you certain the upper and lower pieces dont separate?

For what its worth Ford still has 2 available pns for the EM gasket:
3S4Z-9448-AA
6S4Z-9448-AA
Neither look exactly like the complete assembly you have.

Paul

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
The coppercoat will work but is a bit thin in bulk, myself I'd use high temp silicone RTV instead, it fills voids better since you are reusing a pre-crushed original gasket. You can use the new gasket too if you want.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Looks like the 20 & 23 gaskets are different. I ended up reusing the oem gasket vs the Ford gasket. You'll want to check the nuts after its been run...I've had no issues.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The thread linked below seems like it is NOT applicable to OP, but it is important for anyone interested in EM gasket/s to read this old thread->

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/426882-correct-exhaust-gasket-solves-p0411.html

Summary of that thread is EM Gasket mistakes have happened, and can be expensive, and problems will arise, as it pertains to PZEV verses non-PZEV gaskets.

I bookmarked that old thread a few years ago because it was so odd, eye-opening, and a lesson to remember.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
X2, I remember that one too.

As long as your flats are truly flat you can get away with several ways of doing the seal. I remember the days in the '60s-'80s when there was no gasket there at all, it was manifold and head only. The gasket sets often came with gaskets but taken apart there were none used at all to begin with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts