Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all, I am new to the site and can use a little guidance. The beast I am having the problem with has 180K and has always been serviced, while driving along one day, There was a pop and then the car stopped moving. Lost all gears. I read that these cars have horrible solenoid problems. The fluid is bright red and smells good so what could it be. I have no codes so scanning would do no good. as far as I know, but I could be mistaken. Thanks in advance[scratch]

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
"these cars have horrible solenoid problems" -No or Not really. Some symptoms = bad solenoid or two. Your symptoms do not sound like a bad solenoid at all.

So what's your car doing? Engine runs fine but you can not engage any gear? D, 2, 1 or Reverse?

You need to buy or borrow a code scanner. Some car part stores will let you borrow one (with a deposit).

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
while driving along one day, There was a pop and then the car stopped moving.
Maybe the "pop" was some road kill/road debris that hit an electrical connector next to the transmission, which killed the ability of the PCM to engage gears... and somehow also did not set the Check Engine Light (CEL)...? -SWAG of the Day.

Jack it up and do a GOOD visual inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct. Engine runs great but when the gear selector is moved, there is absolutely nothing. I did not mean to bash the cars, I was just surprised at how many postings i came across about the solenoids.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
...I was just surprised at how many postings i came across about the solenoids.
Yeah, a flurry of recent trans talk, but usually not that active.

Do that visual inspection SLOWLY. You do not need to be car or transmission smart, look it over, and good luck.

Edit: Have someone shift gears while you are under the car, so you can see the trans linkage arm move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just dropped the pan, and really did not find much crud out of the ordinary for 180k. Moved linkage and everything seems to be moving as it should. I have a scanner. but there was never any code set which is really a piss off, but will attack it again in the morning. Thanks

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
The hearing of a 'pop' has mechanical failure of some kind all over it. Won't be fixing that with solenoids, which affect one gear or others but not the complete non-working of the trans. Could be like a broken driveshaft or other final main drive part.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
... but there was never any code set which is really a piss off,
Wow, very strange, no codes. What ever it ends up being PLEASE come back and let us know. I don't have much car experience, so hopefully others will come along and give you some ideas. I also do not have my wire diagrams book with me, so cannot give you any wire/fuse check ideas atm. However, I did posted some trans charts and trans wiring stuff earlier today here->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485585

Oh, cool, amc49 is here. Yeah, what he said....

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Jack both wheels up in air free and turn one, the opposite side should turn smoothly in opposite direction, if not then broken sumpthin' or other. Could be diff or driveshaft. Listen for crunching noises as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found a Transmission from a 02 or 03 Focus at my buddies wrecking yard but his book says 04-05 only. Is this true. I know i have come across stuff like this before where the book says something, but in actuality its complete opposite ? Will an older unit fit

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I have found a Transmission from a 02 or 03 Focus at my buddies wrecking yard but his book says 04-05 only. Is this true. I know i have come across stuff like this before where the book says something, but in actuality its complete opposite ? Will an older unit fit
I do not know... but would guess that the donor might need to come out of a car that also has a Duratec engine. Another thought is that the new trans would need to have the same final drive axle ratio. There is a door jam sticker with that info; and is also available when using the web site shown below, after you enter in your VIN.

Need someone else to guide you on this subject because I have no experience doing trans swaps.

Other than Axle Ratio, I guess it shouldn't matter if the donor was an older Focus, a Ford Pinto or an AMC Pacer, as long as it is a 4F27E right?

Hi. Go to ->
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
then click Vehicle tab.
then Enter your VIN.
You have a Duratec engine.

Build Date: 15.12.2004
Vehicle Line: Focus 2004-
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Version: ZX4 Series
Engine: 2.0L Duratec HE (137PS)
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Transaxle - 4F27E
Drive: LHD FWD
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: French Blue CC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the shift solenoids and found the pressure one to be consistently buzzing, not a clicking sound just buzzing. I didn't see any movement and it was getting hot to the touch. does this sound right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts