Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having transmission issues on my 2005 focus zx4 with an auto trans. Has around 146k on it (ive only had it for about 6 months ) It will not shift into 2nd gear....you have to rev it up in 1st gear and let off the gas and you can feel it clunk down to 3rd gear. Once in 3rd it will shift into overdrive (4th) but free revs like its in neutral. If you turn the overdrive off it will stay in 3rd. I added 12oz of lucas transmission formula and it didnt make a difference. I am needing to know what direction to go next. Change fluid and filter? Are there some shift solenoids that are bad? Replace the trans? ( i can get a used one at a junk yard for around $500 )

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
No 2 or OD=band issue............

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
ive kind of figured that much out....so is the only to rebuild or replace?
No.

Replacing the intermediate band is/might be do-able without removing the trans from the car. <good news right?>

Please do a search for "replace intermediate band 4F27E" and you will find many threads and ideas of how you (or a friend) might be able to repair your car.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Solenoid B or D sticking or staying on might do it. Both are supposed to be off then. Could be broken band, servo piston pin. The driver end cover can come off without yanking trans to get to band. Valve body comes off bottom of trans to get to servo piston.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, i have an 05 zx4 pzev automatic with 343k on the odometer, transmission replaced at about 100k, still on 2nd trans. a couple months ago I was riding with my mom, she was driving on the freeway and she accidentally bumped the gearshift lever down into second at about 70 miles an hour. I was very quick to knock it back up into drive but not before the shift. very shortly thereafter the transmission started slipping (delayed shift) going from 2nd to 3rd. After a solenoid A code and a little research, I replaced solenoid A even though from what I understand in the factory service manual, solenoid A does not switch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. however the shifting did improve for about 2 days. Now I get no code but the transmission will go 2 or 3 days to a week or two slipping and then 2 or 3 days to a week shifting fine, back and forth, back and forth for the past couple months. Any ideas? Btw, I consider myself advanced diy.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Your 'very quick' may have done it, the trans is set up to not overspeed, it will not drop down into 2nd unless the speed allows it. That has been built into ATX for ages. They won't kickdown until they reach the programmed speed even if you put it there manually. Meaning if it went into second that was OK. Now, if you did what you did at the exact fractional second, then trans could have been half into 2nd and then you messed up the shift to slip and burn the band or damage other. One should never counter a shift happening by commanding it backwards while that is happening, good way to conceivably tear trans up. Just sayin'............

·
Registered
22 Posts
Understood. I would estimate the rpm's jumped to about 5k when I put it back into drive and as I think about it, we were probably closer to 60mph taking the i-30 westbound ramp from 287. Assuming what you said has happened is it typical to have periods of slippage and normal operation like I'm having? Transmissions are where I draw the line with my abilities, we don't see eye to eye as far as operation goes.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
There should be no slippage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts