Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flex pipe on my son's Canadian 05 Focus 2.0 is leaking and it looks like it's actually part of the manifold / cat assembly. I want to weld in a new flex section but it looks like I'd have to pull the whole thing out to do it. Before getting started, I'd like to know whats involved, any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I have no experience with this (especially the Canadian models) but I did have a thought. I "thought" the OEM configuration had the flex pipe assembly as a bolt-on. I just did a search for aftermarket parts, and it seems the flex pipe can be a bolt-on OR can be welded onto the mani-cat assembly.

In your situation, yes, you would have to remove the mani-cat, in order to weld-on a new flex pipe.

Pictures are examples only, not OEM parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-674-702-Exhaust-Manifold-Kit/dp/B004AILX5O

and here is a (Walker) manifold that does not have a bolt-on flex pipe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it looks like the California spec setup has a bolt on flex pipe but mine does not. Just wondering if the mani-cat will come out from under the hood with relative ease?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I do not know, -I have never done it. I am guessing the mani-cat can only come out via the bottom of the car; least on my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know, -I have never done it. I am guessing the mani-cat can only come out via the bottom of the car; least on my car.
I hope thats not the case, the gap between the sub frame and the floor doesnt look wide enough to pull the mani-cat through so that would mean dropping the sub frame. Hoping someone can confirm that it will come out the top.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Here's an idea-

Cut the flex off of the current exhaust, pull all of it out, weld a flange on the mani-cat, then buy the flex with a flange on it.

You must know how to weld since youre going to weld on this thin of steel, so my idea to me seems easier, quicker and in the future would make the exhaust easier to remove.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
You can get it out thru the top, thats what I did. I had to remove the evap on the firewall to get the 23 mani/cat out. Mine was a one piece where some are two piece.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Great info! Thanks Felix.

I have a sticker on my hood that calls that evap item a "buffer can".

So, your flex pipe was NOT a bolt-on item?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Great info! Thanks Felix.

I have a sticker on my hood that calls that evap item a "buffer can".

So, your flex pipe was NOT a bolt-on item?
The oem '05-'07 st's are one piece vs the '03-'04 23's. They look kinda similar to that Walker replacement that you posted. I replaced mine w/ a fwerks header yrs ago. There are a few pic's in my profile album....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I picked up the flex piece today and l plan to put it in on the weekend. The car is a daily commuter so I need it fixed for Monday, thats why I was needing confirmation of the removal procedure, didnt want to run into trouble half way through. I'll update when done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Job done. The manifold / cat assy. came out the top as expected albeit not as easily as I'd have liked. The heat shroud is the biggest hindrance to pulling it straight out, it's a tight fit to say the least, it took 15 minutes of wiggling, twisting and prying but we prevailed. The whole job took around 2.5 hours, that included welding in the new piece of flex.
Thanks again for the valuable advise.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
...The whole job took around 2.5 hours, that included welding in the new piece of flex....
So, minus the welding, that means I should be able to do that job also, in about 7.5 hours. This is a Marde moves way too slow; usually a factor of two or three.

Congrats on the fix. Good job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Stuck

We have a 2005 ZX4 SES 2.0 Duratec with a broken flex pipe. It has a mani-cat with the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, and flex all 1 piece. I have everything disconnect and the assembly is loose but I can't figure out how to pull it up and out from under the hood. Doesn't seem like there is enough room/clearance. I have not removed AC lines or heater hoses. Do I need to remove motor mounts to loose/move the motor to make room to pull this up and out? What am I missing?

ANSWER: I set out this morning and removed both driver and passenger side upper motor mounts. That gave me just enough movement. I let the manifold lower back towards the firewall and then I was able to pull the manifold heat shield off. Once that was out of the way the mani-cat lifted right out.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
We have a 2005 ZX4 SES 2.0 Duratec with a broken flex pipe. It has a mani-cat with the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, and flex all 1 piece. I have everything disconnect and the assembly is loose but I can't figure out how to pull it up and out from under the hood. Doesn't seem like there is enough room/clearance. I have not removed AC lines or heater hoses. Do I need to remove motor mounts to loose/move the motor to make room to pull this up and out? What am I missing?

ANSWER: I set out this morning and removed both driver and passenger side upper motor mounts. That gave me just enough movement. I let the manifold lower back towards the firewall and then I was able to pull the manifold heat shield off. Once that was out of the way the mani-cat lifted right out.
Thank you for sharing your method, to remove the mani-cat out thru the top side.

I would caution all others to remember "engine weight support" while these two top engine mounts are removed (the lower engine mount also? -aka dogbone) AND while you move & shift the engine forward to gain space to lift the exhaust manifold (main-cat) out from the car at the firewall side.

This makes me wonder if I can use your method in my 2004 2.3 PZEV if I ever need this mani-cat replacement.

Great to see a first time poster with helpful advice. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts