Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the PCV valve on a 2005 2.0 Duratec? I just received my replacement part yesterday and went out to change it today thinking that it would be a quick 5 minute job, but much to my surprise, I can't even find it. All of them I have changed in the past have been super easy to find, but this thing is elusive! Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
67 Posts
its behind/under the intake manifold, and its a nasty job changing it out.... there is a write-up somewhere on here for the duratec......

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you are under the front looking into the engine compartment, you can see it easier than trying to find it looking under the hood. The problem is reaching it.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
you have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. I think the user Mave removed his PCV value when he did his turbo install. Find his build thread for that and he has detailed pics/description of how to remove the intake mani; if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After locating it, I decided to call my local dealership out of curiosity to see what they would charge. I figured it would be $250+ for labor since the intake manifold has to come off, but they said it's $77 and the intake manifold doesn't have to come off. After looking at it, I don't see any way possible to change it with the intake manifold in the car, but if they stick with their estimate, I'm more than willing to pay $77 to have it changed. I made an appointment for next Tuesday, so I'll update the thread accordingly.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
amen to that. I would def pay that $77. hopefully the quote stays true.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After speaking to the dealership I noted previously, I decided to call a couple of other dealerships. One of them had an open slot this morning at 9:00 so I took it. Sure enough, they were able to change it without removing the intake manifold. They had a long pair of pliers with a curved end and a small pry bar to slide the hose off. With tax and all, it was right at $85 out the door.

Here is the 100k mile PCV of nastiness.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
wow, that's disgusting. When mine needs changed I think I'm going to look into a catch can setup on it.

$85 isn't bad at all though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PCV valve necessary to replace for 100k recommended service?

Hi, my local (Baltimore) mechanic recommended that I simply not replace the PCV valve at all, since he would have to charge $500 or something to take out the intake manifold, etc ... I got a similar quote from a dealer in DC.

If I can't find a mechanic/dealer who will replace it for a reasonable amount, is it a reasonable option just not to replace it, even though it's in the Maintenance Guide under the 100k recommended service?

Btw, 6Stringer, which dealership was that? In principle, I could be within driving distance to WV in Baltimore.

Thanks!

After speaking to the dealership I noted previously, I decided to call a couple of other dealerships. One of them had an open slot this morning at 9:00 so I took it. Sure enough, they were able to change it without removing the intake manifold. They had a long pair of pliers with a curved end and a small pry bar to slide the hose off. With tax and all, it was right at $85 out the door.

Here is the 100k mile PCV of nastiness.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
How do remove the intake manifold replace the PCV valve myself? Are there instructions in the forums someplace?
We don't have a How-To on that currently. Some time when I'm not working I'm going to be doing an intake manifold replacement, so I'll be showing all the things to consider with that project.

Hooked needle nose pliers are available from hardware stores in the electrical dept, so you might want to look at the job, and then go look at tools.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Wow.... that brings back memories. That thread was originally started in 2010, and the last post was in 2012!

I have read where someone with a long pair of hooked needle nose pliers was able to remove the PCV vacuum line and the PCV itself. I've never tried to do it, but I never had any engine problems that were caused by the PCV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it possible to remove the pcv valve without the intake manifold?
Yes it is possible to do the pcv replacement without taking off the IM, I am working on this right now but have to wait till the retaining ring comes in. I needed to split it to pull the pcv valve out. I am using 11" 90o and straight needle nose pliers to do the replacement longer ones would have been better.

Everyone in my area wanted to charge $500+ to do the work, my cost $9 for pliers plus parts and my labor.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
You'd also want to replace the pcv hose as well.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts