Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, well the thread title says it all. Started about a month ago ( +- 3000km) The engine warning light came on about 2 days after it started.

I have replaced all filters ( air, oil, fuel) and replaced the spark plugs and checked the leads. After disconenting the Battery to get rid of the warning light, the miss firing wasn't as bad, but still there and gets worse. The engine runs fine if acceleration is kept slow( slight miss firing), but with hard aceleration the miss firing is very noticable.

When the car is idling, can hear what sounds like air sucking when accelerating, but no miss firing( idling only )

I'm at my witts end. Going to have to take her in to a Ford agent soon.

Any surrgestions as to what the problem may be are welcom.

Milage of the car is 152400lm with full service history.

Regards

Bretskie

·
Registered
602 Posts
Coil pack comes to my mind, at idle you can try pulling 1 spark plug wire at the time, to try if there is a cylinder not firing properly, warning wear vey thick gloves for this exercise! If this does not give any solution, chk the pcv tubing., Other than that you need to have the fault code read, this being from the engine any ODB 2 scannner shold give you an idea of the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Coil pack did cross my mind. I don't have a code scanner, so can not comment on that. Gonna book car in with agents in the next couple of days. Hopefully it will not cost a small fortune.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Got that part with the engine, think 2004 was the last year of 1,6l Zetec in Europe,did you try out pulling the plug wires?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Coil pack suggestion is a GOOD one...
Matches your issues.

If you remove the coil pack, check the bottom of it & see ANY cracking, it's a sign that it's shat & needs replacement.

Typical symptom is a misfire when the engine is under load, getting worse as rpm & load increases.

That matches your description, and it's a common failure item on our cars....

Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Forgive my ignorance, but coil back is the square black piece that spark leads are connectd to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahahahaha, jhb is fine, sitting in traffic as i type this. N3 south bound, passing Van Burren, Bedfordview.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Guess off topic, guess this is why..
lane closures at the M2 Geldenhuis Interchange,
Wish Ihad time to revisit. :)

By the way you will need torx to get the coilpack off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yip! Damn traffic. Torx? No here's something very strange. I've noticed as my petrol gets less the misfiring isn't bad at all, especially now as tank is almost empty, 60km traveled on reserve)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmm that wierd, if there is a fuelpump/pressure problem, its normally the other way around, you def. need a reading of the faultcodes ..
Send me a pm with your mailaddress, & will tell you about my experiences of Joburg

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lets get the price of a coilpack in Za then, hopefully less then 450 Rand, & of course if it helps, (oyu might be well off buying a generic OBD 2 code reader, will give you engine fault codes on most modern cars, its about 25GBP, from talktomycar.co.ik)...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price of new coil pack is ZAR810.00. not sure of Brand, will check when I collect it on Saterday morning. Also ordered 2x rear bearings(SKF), ZAR370.00 each.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOOOOO HOOOOO, coil pack replced and she's running like a race horse. No visable cracks on the old coil besides on the mounts where the torx are. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts