Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem like this on my 88 CRX. your driving in any gear, you step on the gas and the car is in gear and it revs before excelerating. Was a clutch back in the 90's on my CRX. does any one think it may just be dirty brake fluid in the master and brake system. I ask because my Honda Accord did this and i had to bleed the slave cylinder. The focus has no slave cylinder any ideas it has been slowly getting worse and it may not make it another day!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Clutch, clutch, clutch. If your worried about the brakes sticking on, try accelerating a few times, coast to a stop or slowly brake, and get out and see if the brakes are hot. If so, maybe the brakes are sticking, but I've never heard of anyone having that issue before. Most likely it will be your clutch.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The focus absolutely has a slave cylinder, but it isn't external like the Hondas are. it is inside the transmission bell housing behind the throwout bearing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^6 And the bleeder is right at the top of the bellhousing.

Moving this to General Tech chat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the wrong posting spot! so i should defenitly bleed the clutch i can see the bleed valve on the top side of the bell housing its almost impossible to get a wrench on

·
Registered
637 Posts
How many miles? I don't think bleeding it is going to do anything. And be very careful with that bleeder valve. Mine snapped off. I'd put money on a burnt clutch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bleeding not done going to have a clutch put in on monday. I would do it my self but I'm done with fixing my own cars for a while. Hate paying some one but this time its worth it.Thamks everyone for backing me on the bad clutch!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
bleeding not done going to have a clutch put in on monday. I would do it my self but I'm done with fixing my own cars for a while. Hate paying some one but this time its worth it.Thamks everyone for backing me on the bad clutch!!!!

No problem man. Let us know what happens when you get it back

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
The thing the Focus doesn't have that Honda does that I think some people confuse with a slave cyl is a dedicated clutch master cyl! I know when we first got my wife's focus the clutch was feeling a little weird at one point, that was the first time I had NOT seen a dedicated clutch master! (I was a Honda guy before the focuses!)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We DO have a dedicated clutch master cyl., what we DON'T have is a separate reservoir to feed it.

Having just ONE brake fluid reservoir to feed both the brake & the clutch master cylinders can be confusing to many as you mention.

Not unheard of, just different than many. BTW - no worries about clutch problems affecting the brakes as the line to the clutch comes off higher than the one to the brakes & the lines have plenty of reserve in them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
We DO have a dedicated clutch master cyl., what we DON'T have is a separate reservoir to feed it.

Having just ONE brake fluid reservoir to feed both the brake & the clutch master cylinders can be confusing to many as you mention.

Not unheard of, just different than many. BTW - no worries about clutch problems affecting the brakes as the line to the clutch comes off higher than the one to the brakes & the lines have plenty of reserve in them.

As i find out the hard way lol. But you can still get air in your brakes lines through this

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tough to do though, even with the reservoir empty there's still enough fluid in the line to the brake master cyl. to take care of normal needs.

Empty that line & you're sucking air into the brakes.

Any time the reservoir nears empty you push the limits, the basic design is to prevent braking loss from a loss of fluid in the clutch system.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Tough to do though, even with the reservoir empty there's still enough fluid in the line to the brake master cyl. to take care of normal needs.

Empty that line & you're sucking air into the brakes.

Any time the reservoir nears empty you push the limits, the basic design is to prevent braking loss from a loss of fluid in the clutch system.

I emptied my lone when my slave went lol. I still haven't put it in the shop yet

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts

Ah thanks!! I'm going to look for that next time I'm under the hood! I really learn something every time I'm on here!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll find the clutch M/C under the dash, only the ports stick through to the engine compartment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts