Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have owned a 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 for about a year now and I enjoy it more and more every day. It has the 2.3L and since I have bought it I put an SVT suspension kit on it, tires, battery, headlight housings, etc. I bought the car at 88,000 miles and it currently has 108k miles on it.

I'm looking to add some performance mods to my Focus and I would like to start with a CAI and get rid of the unserviceable "lifetime" air filter. I have read many forums on this site on CAI so I have an idea of what I would like to get but I wanted to make a post because it has been so long since some of these post have been active.

The most mentioned CAI's for this engine are:
Marcy Motorsports Cold Air Intake

Marcy Motorsports appears to be out of business? The website no longer works.

FSWerks - $199

Cosworth

Discontinued? Couldn't find a link.

There are a few others but I could not find links. Right now im thinking of getting the FSWerks CAI.

Are there any other's you would recommend?
Is there some type of splash shield I need to buy? (Live in Michigan)
Is a tune necessary after gettinga CAI?
Are there other performance mods that you would recommend?

I appreciate you taking a look!
Look forward to hearing your replies.

·
So mote be it
8,802 Posts
Does you bumper have any sort of splash shield on it? The FSWerks sits inside the lower bumper; i want to say your gen doesnt have any sort of under panel there. the 05+ duratecs had a small splash sheild that ran the length of the bumper. Zetecs were flipped 180 compared to the duratecs, no one really did true cold air intakes in the front bumper on those motors

I ran the FSwerks for years on my 07 with out issue in Ohio. But my car the intake was protected from direct rain from the front and from below. Running a hydrophobic prefilter would keep things cleaner and dryer. Just dont drive into standing water, aka hydrolock your motor by forcing the intake to act like a straw and gulp up water (its not terribly easy to do but if you submerge the front of the car with a CAI, it would happen.)

Alternatively, Steeda makes a short ram, keeps the air filter up in the bay: https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Air-Intakes-c456.htm

tune isnt need for a CAI, a tune will make most of the power (especially if you tune for 91-93 octane.) Biggest mod to wake the car up is to get a header (tune is a must for header.) I'd also suggest a short shifter, lower poly dog bone mount to tighten things up and then delete your balance shaft

·
Registered
75 Posts
I vote steeda if it's gonna be driven in the rain and snow and such. I have both the steeda and the Cosworth cai. I use the cossy because it's rare but honestly I think the steeda sounds better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to crawl under my car later today to see if there is some type of splash gaurd.

I noticed the Steeda short ram intake you mentioned is for 05-07 Ford Focus. Will it still fit on my 04?

Will a short ram intake work as well as a CAI due to the fact that the filter will be in a hot engine bay?

·
Registered
452 Posts
K&N makes one, too. The FSWerks one is a Cossie knock-off. I have the Cossie, and it was a great mod (probably the most noticeable mod to date).

If you have a manual trans, the DIY short shift is pretty cool and only costs a few bucks for the die.

Balance Shaft Delete is cheap, not too difficult to do and gets you an extra quart of oil in the engine.

SVT front brakes are a good mod. I don't think the rear disk conversion is worth the trouble but maybe someone will change my mind.

Strut bars didn't seem to make much of a difference, but they look cool.

Autolite 103 spark plugs actually made a noticeable difference (not much but still something and for a few bucks).

I've heard a bigger rear sway bar makes the car more fun to drive but I haven't tried yet.

Exhaust is another easy bolt-on mod that makes the car fun to drive. A new header was a PITA to install and I'm not sure if it did much for my car (I have the OBX).

I've had my car since 2008 and have done everything myself so far. Surprisingly, you can still work on everything yourself. RockAuto is your friend as well as the FAQ section here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed the Steeda short ram intake you mentioned is for 05-07 Ford Focus. Will it still fit on my 04?

Will a short ram intake work as well as a CAI due to the fact that the filter will be in a hot engine bay?
You said it's a 2.3 engine which would make it a duratec. I don't see why it wouldn't work as it's the same engine in my car, 07 2.3 st. As for the hot engine bay thing, the steeda filter is not in the ideal position performance wise but it still dyno'd I believe 6-8 hp over stock and it's safe from hydrolocking. I think the cossie puts out like 11hp so not too much difference

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the Steeda website there are two short Ram intakes.

steeda.com/steeda-focus-cold-air-intake-00-04-all-555-3101
This one says its for all Focus's 00-04. It looks cheap to me. Anyone have this one?

steeda.com/steeda-focus-cold-air-intake-05-07-all-555-3104
This one says its for all Focus's 05-07. It seems like a better build.

Do these have a place for the MAF sensor?

I looked under my car and from what I can see there is no splash guard but im not really positive what one would look like to be honest. The current air intake has a air "box" where the intake comes into the front bumper and then leads to the filter but that would be removed with a CAI.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The air box stays when you install a CAI. Honestly, the likelihood of hydrolocking your car due to sucking water through the CAI is slim to none. Just buy the FSWerks and be done with it.

Here's the K&N option...much higher price then I remember.
https://www.knfilters.com/ford/focus/2.3l-l4-gas/2004

·
Registered
384 Posts
Best mod is a 3.82 final drive mtx-75 $150 from pic and pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts