Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've bought a 2004 ZX3 2.3 last year to compete at local hillclimb events, did one season on crappy tires and worn out suspension, just to see if I and the car were capable of lasting more than one run, turned out we both enjoyed it, so we're going for season two this year.
I'm going over every details of the car to see what needs replacing, what needs budgeting, and i noticed that one fuel line, going from a hard line close to the firewall, to the fuel rail has had some pretty serious chafing action with a bracket holding some part of the evap system, and with a metal clamp at the back of the engine. This fuel line goes directly over the engine on the driver side, appears to have both fiberglass and aluminum wrap, and still the chafing goes through both and has started making a dent on the plastic line.

My local ford dealership has special ordered one from ford, and made me drive out only to find out this wasn't the correct one.

IMG_8984.JPG IMG_8970.JPG

They gave me the reference 3542-9J280-BA but it doesn't seem to look right.
it almost looks like 6S4Z-9J280-B but that's not right either.

anyone with the correct reference / or a line to get this part / or a proven way to replace that stoopid line?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
Understand that the rough service the car is being asked to do will likely simply fail the second line and why not? It uses the same design. You are looking for it to anyway.

The engine is likely moving around a lot in the mounts and car body if lines under car are firmly in place may be working the line at that point too. You need to create a more compliant mounting there as well as maybe a longer flex section (in regard to what is already there) to stop the issue.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
They gave me the reference 3542-9J280-BA but it doesn't seem to look right.
it almost looks like 6S4Z-9J280-B but that's not right either.
I think the pn you wrote should be 3S4Z-9J280-BA not 3542

BTW that fiberglass/foil wrap is really only for thermal insulation. Why dont you armor the line in the chafe area with several layers of heavy split loom retained with tie straps. That combined with diligent periodic inspection on your part I would think would be adequate. Just my $.02.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
Thick foam rubber like pipe wrap, wears but thick enough to catch it before line damage. Harder plastic like split loom is almost the same hardness and dirt getting in will then eat both pipe and loom close to equal if the pipe is plastic. Foam rubber will embed the dirt to eat mainly foam. Picked that up in dirtbike racing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys!

Hi AMC49 - I am contemplating the idea of making my own fuel line, I just never had to deal with these little plastic clip connectors, this, and the fact that this line is placed just over the engine, exhaust header, etc makes me nervous - even though I carry 2 extinguishers, I have seen what damage a small fuel fire can do and I'd like to avoid it. I'm also thinking that this line is original to the car, so it didn't do a bad job resisting 16 years and 150K miles... not sure any handmade line would do as good of a job.

Hi Paul1958 - yes, good catch, the parts guy's writing was awful, I realized later on that this was a 3S4Z - which lead me to 4S4Z-9J280-BD - which may be the correct part - that I can only find on FordPartsGiant and there is only a drawing and no specs, length... for $67 :)

My search continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts