Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out of nowhere I'm sitting in my car with it on, talking to a friend. When I noticed my "oil temp" needle was peaking all the way up! and the water temp was on its way there too. I look in front and there is white smoke coming out of the coolants reservoir side. Long story short. I noticed this would happen after driving for about 20min~ and it didn't always happen. By the way when the car overheats it bubbles from the coolant reservoir.

I changed the thermostat with a colder one from CFM and I thought the problem went away for good since it didn't do this for a whileee (2-3 weeks)

the car was running colder than the usualy (about 1/4 oil temp) - Until I was on rush to make it to a soccer game driving just a little faster than normal (not going passed 3000rpm) and cruising about 75pmh~ on highway. As I'm getting close to the stadium on traffic there...again...I pull over..wait for it to cool...etc

SOMETIMES I turn on the a/c and it drops..

So basically. This is happening on red lights or traffic...today I noticed it started to overheat...I pulled over quick and on neutral I reved to 2500rpm~ and all the bubbles and pressure from the coolant reservoir dropped and the temperature dropped again and its been fine since then..BUT I know it's going to come back sooner or later..

AGAIN it doesn't do this everday but maybe 2-3 times a week?

I'm thinking next to change the accesory belt? maybe it's slipping? (I don't hear any noice of it slipping) but I've lost power steering about 2 times but I think it's due to heavy rain or water dripping from coolant reservoir...but it comes back after a few seconds..

The fans ''seem'' to be working

OR I hope it isn't the water pump ? andif you guys think it is...about how much does it usually run to get it replaced ? average ?

this is a 2004 Focus SVT with about 50k~ miles on engine/Trans

Please...This is really annoying...The cars left me stuck a few times already..lol

Thanks in advance ! [8D]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fans seem to be working - I heard them today when I had to pulled over.. sorry I didn't add that to the thread

But I'm not sure if they are always working.

resistors ? does that have to do with powering the fans? maybe both aren't working?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes has to do with powering the fans. Does it only overheat when you're moving slow or idling or while driving say 50-60mph too? Does turning the AC on full blast always bring the temps down?

·
Registered
666 Posts
your ac fan is working but your cooling fan isnt.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The engine cooling fans have 2 speeds- that's why the resistor is in there. You can't change DC voltage like AC, so you have to put in resistors to make the same motor run at a slower speed. The low speed is not working, but the high speed is working. If you heard both fans working then those fans were probably on high speed which is not resisted, and will work with a bad resistor. That speed comes on when the coolant is just past boiling.

Another thing to consider when you get your fan resistor is to get a new coolant reservoir cap from the dealer. That will solve any problems you might have in the future with the seal wearing out on the cap you have which can also cause rampant overheating. Coolant under pressure boils at a higher temperature than coolant that is not under pressure- check your old physical science book for more reference.

This repair is going to cost you about $60 in parts. We should have How-To's on the subject, and definitely check the cooling fan pigtail while you have it disconnected. That is prone to problems in these cars- especially cars that have the heat shield removed. It would be wise to spend a little money at a parts store on a "spark plug boot protector" which is like header wrap, but made to go over a spark plug boot. It's a bit larger as well, so you should be able to get one of those and force the cooling fan plug through the protector. If you're replacing the pigtail as well, then you'll definitely be able to slide this one when you make the repair.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep My focus SVT unfortunatly came without the heat shield.. So it looks like this should be my problem - These resistors can be bought at a local auto store right ? And is it something that is easy to install on your own ?

Thanks a lot by the way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts