Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus SVT and my buddy happens to have an extra set of insides from a 2017 ST. I want to know if I can bolt the engine right in. I have the electric steering rack, steering column, etc. etc. I just want to know if the mounts for engine and transmission sync up and if I find an ST cradle if I can bolt that up.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
You need an 03-07 Duratec transmission. Passenger side motor mount is modified and the axle is also, Volvo power steering pump, couple other things, the rest is factory.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey, Spin,
Assuming you had to use the ST fuel pump, did you also use the ST fuel tank and fuel
lines?

Sorry, my app wouldn't let me quote you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Hey, Spin,
Assuming you had to use the ST fuel pump, did you also use the ST fuel tank and fuel
lines?

Sorry, my app wouldn't let me quote you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Using the 2007 factory fuel tank and fuel pump, using an MK3 fuel line to make it easier mounting up front.

2007 trans with 2005-07 driver axle, dogbone, driver side motor mount.

FSwerks 00-07 sedan exhaust, 07 radiator and fans.

Only thing ecoboost specific is the passenger motor mount, obviously bolt ons, passenger axle and carrier bearing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need an 03-07 Duratec transmission. Passenger side motor mount is modified and the axle is also, Volvo power steering pump, couple other things, the rest is factory.
p

Why can't I keep the transmission from the Focus ST? How about just keeping the electric power steering rack?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Because then you would have to make all the motor mounts custom, shifter cables would need custom made, both axles would need custom made due to spline and length. The power steering rack would be too wide or tall, custom tie rods, then wiring to make it run right.

But sure, go for it. Lot of extra money you don't need to spend. The mtx75 is much more reliable too.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Very stupid question , why not turbocharge the SVT Engine ?

Tom
Lack of parts if something breaks, ecoboost blocks are cheaper, more plentiful aftermarket parts, more tuning availability, more reliable, easy to find.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I keep fighting with myself on if I'm going to build my SVT or not, I love the car, but with the money I have in the build I could just buy a newer ST. An ST swap in an SVT though, that's awesome. Id pay to see an SVT with an RS engine and drivetrain...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
I keep fighting with myself on if I'm going to build my SVT or not, I love the car, but with the money I have in the build I could just buy a newer ST. An ST swap in an SVT though, that's awesome. Id pay to see an SVT with an RS engine and drivetrain...
That's a lot of hacking. No different that going RWD though I suppose.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
The ecoboost motor is not more reliable. I drive am ST and I owned an SVT. If you have the money, build the SVT and just replace the intake manifold while doing so.

Too much work swapping. You would need to move everything around in the engine compartment, custom motor mounts, modified cross member, transmission, etc. You can make the same power for less with the svt block.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
The ecoboost motor is not more reliable. I drive am ST and I owned an SVT. If you have the money, build the SVT and just replace the intake manifold while doing so.

Too much work swapping. You would need to move everything around in the engine compartment, custom motor mounts, modified cross member, transmission, etc. You can make the same power for less with the svt block.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Gotta disagree. One custom motor mount which you can already buy, passenger side axle, you can already buy. Just buy the standalone harness. Old transmission mounts, crossmember is unchanged, nothing needs moved around.

On my ecoboost swap, I'm "stage 3" all in on mods is roughly 800 including the new stealth exhaust making 290/374.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well the other thing is, most SVTs are getting up there in miles, so a rebuild is smart to do before a turbo. That adds to the cost, and to the trouble. How much do you charge for a engine built for your turbo kit Tom?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
The svt is a one off vehicle w/ unique parts (trans,axles,ect). So if your wanting to go the st motor route, really best off starting w/ a '05-'07 as that'd have parts that you'd need....

·
FF Affiliate
30,662 Posts
Well the other thing is, most SVTs are getting up there in miles, so a rebuild is smart to do before a turbo. That adds to the cost, and to the trouble. How much do you charge for a engine built for your turbo kit Tom?
I charge 3750.00 for a Built SVT for boost , Our Engine will easily hold 400+ whp

Tom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts