Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2004 SVT Squeaking at idle and at low speeds

112 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  amc49

Hey y'all. Been seeing a lot of good help and resources since looking through the forums. Just purchased this 04 SVT privately and am getting this gnarly squeak when idling and when I'm at low speeds/decelerating (could be happening all the time but the engine noise and exhaust sound too good). I drove it back home some 300 miles and didn't notice any issues except for when I hit downtown ATX traffic then my far right gauge shot up and the squeak reared its head around. After getting up top 4k-5k rpms she purred and the gauge leveled out. Let it sit with no leaks after getting home and after firing it up today the day after I noticed the squeak after about a minute of letting it sit. Ran it once this morning and then ran it again later in the afternoon and the check engine light came on. I've been reading up and down the forums to get some kind of prognosis and it could be a throwout bearing or maybe just flywheel chatter but I want to ask the experts here too see if anyone knows anything.

Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19,376 Posts
The pass side engine mount has an entire envelope of possible noises associated with them, just so you know.

Make sure you get timing belt changed if needed, that engine typically blows up to severe damage not doing it and belt lets go. Bends every valve in it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pass side engine mount has an entire envelope of possible noises associated with them, just so you know.

Make sure you get timing belt changed if needed, that engine typically blows up to severe damage not doing it and belt lets go. Bends every valve in it.
It's at the mechanics now so we'll see what they come back with. After talking to my girlfriends dad that's been a mechanic for 30 something years he says it sounds like the timing chain or belt like you mentioned.

Fingers crossed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts