Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been eye balling some of the blacked headlights out on the market, specifically the halo'd ones, but one thing I keep coming across is that there does not appear to be any that are HID capable. Is anyone aware of a set being made? Short of that, has anyone converted a non HID set to use their HID internals?

I have considered modding mine to black them out but I really like the halo look and would love to get a set of the Spyder blacked projectors working with HID.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone picked these up?

Any words on the quality from the Spec-D source?

Will they even fit the SVT?

The part that concerns me is "**Does not fit factory Xenon HID Model**" on the page, I'm not sure if they are talking about the factory HID kit or the Assembly mounting point. They also have an image of them mounted and it may be an SVT or just a normal ZX3 with a SVT Front bumper.... the site just doesn't seem very clear on what they do and don't fit.

http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe00fofoa2.html
HID-2LHP-FOC00G-TM

Advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Few things to note:

The projector housings themselves are halogen housings, they arent designed for HIDs, and the cutoff shape will blind oncoming traffic, and you wont have any more usable light than you would have with halogen bulbs.

Those specific headlights are very low quality. They dont fit right, and last about a year at best.

If you really want to get halo headlights with HIDs, the only solution is retrofitting.

I made a thread about it somewhere, but basically, I bought a set of ebay halo headlights, then gutted them and installed some proper bixenon projectors from theretrofitsource.com

The headlights looked like these:

I should add that this path means alot of custom work, and will cost you ~$400 to do. You might be better off just picking up a set of used Machs or Hellas.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
ebay lights are crap

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is more or less what I thought. Especially when I saw the price of the light assembly that protuning was throwing out there, seemed aweful low for HID.

Do you recall what harness is used for the SVT EAP?

I'm not above some elbow grease to get the look I want. I just know that fitment and lens quality are the two big components I need to look at for the SVT assemblies.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
oh , and no crappy ebay lights will fit your SVT EAP being that it came stock with HIDs
it will have the VW/Euro headlight harness ..
you are better off modifying your lights (i take it you have Mach lights), Euro headlights ,or the Hella HIDs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh , and no crappy ebay lights will fit your SVT EAP being that it came stock with HIDs
it will have the VW/Euro headlight harness ..
you are better off modifying your lights (i take it you have Mach lights), Euro headlights ,or the Hella HIDs

Yes, I have the Mach lights. I would love to just clean up the ones I have and turn them black, but this is my daily driver and the lens have taken a beating to boot. I can't have the vehicle down for a couple of days that it would take me to do the job right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Few things to note:

The projector housings themselves are halogen housings, they arent designed for HIDs, and the cutoff shape will blind oncoming traffic, and you wont have any more usable light than you would have with halogen bulbs.

Those specific headlights are very low quality. They dont fit right, and last about a year at best.

If you really want to get halo headlights with HIDs, the only solution is retrofitting.

I made a thread about it somewhere, but basically, I bought a set of ebay halo headlights, then gutted them and installed some proper bixenon projectors from theretrofitsource.com

The headlights looked like these:

I should add that this path means alot of custom work, and will cost you ~$400 to do. You might be better off just picking up a set of used Machs or Hellas.

How is the lens quality on those? Anyone have input on the Spyder brand lenses?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Personally, I'd restore your Machs and black them out. With the possible exception of Dynobeams, Machs are the best all around headlights for MK1 Foci. Quality is good (with the exception of lenses) and light output is great.

You can start by restoring the lenses. Using a restoration kit, this can be done right on your car and can be done whenever you get time. A day should be plenty to do both but if you can't finish, no problem; your car will still be drivable and you can just pick up where you left off the next day. If you still aren't satisfied, you can buy a clear film like LaminX to cover your lenses. I had to do this to may foglights which were covered in stone chips. This can also be done on the car.

If you're satisfied with the lenses when your done, pop the lenses off in an oven and paint the inside of the headlights. This can be done in one day but it doesn't hurt to have a second day so the paint can dry overnight. If you really want to get creative, purchase a set of halos from somewhere and stick them in while you have the headlights open.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I'd restore your Machs and black them out. With the possible exception of Dynobeams, Machs are the best all around headlights for MK1 Foci. Quality is good (with the exception of lenses) and light output is great.

You can start by restoring the lenses. Using a restoration kit, this can be done right on your car and can be done whenever you get time. A day should be plenty to do both but if you can't finish, no problem; your car will still be drivable and you can just pick up where you left off the next day. If you still aren't satisfied, you can buy a clear film like LaminX to cover your lenses. I had to do this to may foglights which were covered in stone chips. This can also be done on the car.

If you're satisfied with the lenses when your done, pop the lenses off in an oven and paint the inside of the headlights. This can be done in one day but it doesn't hurt to have a second day so the paint can dry overnight. If you really want to get creative, purchase a set of halos from somewhere and stick them in while you have the headlights open.
I've used the Mothers restore kit on them before, and while it is a lengthy process (to include the sanding) they always come out great. I just wish the quality of the lenses were better so I wouldn't have to do it. The more and more I think about it I might just get the DEPO set to paint and play with.

Anyone know where to find a halo kit that would fit and look decent on the Mach's?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys, I just came up with a killer idea but I have no electronics experience to design such a project.

Subject: Halo's
Idea: sequential turn signal, in lamp
Lamp: MACH / OEM HID

Basically I want to install halo's on the HID protrusion and the low-beam protrusion, tie in the amber bulb and create a sequential flashing turn signal like what is on the Mustang's taillights. I've found that theretrofitsource.com has some Morimoto XB LED Angel Eyes that I can buy separately and install. I've got an email out to them to find out how quickly they come on, instant or dim-up, to see if the product would even work. What is lacking is a controller to make it all work. Yes this is a bold idea and I'm sure someone might take it and run with it themselves all the way to the patent office, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to figure this one out on my own.

Anyone wanna help me out??

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
You could buy the mechanism (not sure what it's called) that does this on Mustang taillights. Probably you can get one through ford or Rockauto.com. If I remember correctly, it has three hookups for three bulbs. Just wire in your two halos and the orange signal and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could buy the mechanism (not sure what it's called) that does this on Mustang taillights. Probably you can get one through ford or Rockauto.com. If I remember correctly, it has three hookups for three bulbs. Just wire in your two halos and the orange signal and you should be good to go.
That is a really good idea! I hadn't considered that aspect. Now I just have to figure out the wiring since I figure that the normal turn signal relay will likely cause issues... Gonna have to bypass the relay and tie straight into the signal wire coming from the turn signal switch... Hmmmm fun times ahead on this one.

Has anyone swapped their Mach internals into a different lamp assembly to retain the HID and projector?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone doing it specifically but I'm sure it has been done. I've had mine completely disassembled a couple times and everything comes apart pretty easily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the black ones, $180 I think, great lights but get a plug from a vw or an Audi so you don't have to cut your wires. Also have an extra passenger s ide mach if interested. Sorry, great lights if you don't have to adjust them..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts