Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man , you read about it and say I hope that doesn't happen to me. Well low and behold it has. My car has 40k and nearly killed me on the way into work. In EVERY gear I had to keep it under 2000 rpms or it would slip and just go nowhere. I drive 20miles to work, and it did this all the way to the Ford dealer where I took it in. They told me clutches were not covered under warranty. I said it only has 40k on it there is clearly something wrong.....They said too bad....must be the way it was driven. On the way out after having a fit the car seemed a bit better, it wasn't reving so high in the gears, but was slightly still evident.....does this sound like the clutch or another problem.....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Would this be covered under warranty or Am I on the hook for a new clutch?[rant]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
you need a new clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose completely a NON warranty issue hey...

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Most likely it IS your clutch assembly going out already. The problem with all years of the SVT, the clutches are all hit or miss. Some have gotten good use out of theirs, some have suffered an earlier demise such as yours. Unfortunately I also think that mine is on the way out with 58k on the clock. Funny thing is, I rarely beat on my car unless I have to do some passing on the highway.

For such an inconsistancy in production, Ford should rightfully honor all SVT clutch claims. On the other hand, look at how 2nd generation GST Eclipse owners got screwed by Mitsubishi when they had to take their cars into the shop for crankwalk issues. The cranks on those cars had so much shaft play the things would move almost a full inch in either direction causing major engine damage that Mitsubishi blamed on the car's owner.

IMHO, Ford knows that their stock SVT clutches suck ass and should do right by the owners.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely it IS your clutch assembly going out already. The problem with all years of the SVT, the clutches are all hit or miss. Some have gotten good use out of theirs, some have suffered an earlier demise such as yours. Unfortunately I also think that mine is on the way out with 58k on the clock. Funny thing is, I rarely beat on my car unless I have to do some passing on the highway.

For such an inconsistancy in production, Ford should rightfully honor all SVT clutch claims. On the other hand, look at how 2nd generation GST Eclipse owners got screwed by Mitsubishi when they had to take their cars into the shop for crankwalk issues. The cranks on those cars had so much shaft play the things would move almost a full inch in either direction causing major engine damage that Mitsubishi blamed on the car's owner.

IMHO, Ford knows that their stock SVT clutches suck ass and should do right by the owners.
I completely agree......the phrase "Class action Suit" rings a bell....

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
A lawsuit such as this would be hard to win just because all SVTs are manuals. Ford knows that there are very minimal chances where they would be forced to repair clutches free of cost. Plus, it's not worth putting down a retainer for a lawyer when it's cheaper to just get a new clutch/flywheel combo and be done with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had telephon fight about Ford Probe clutch. Car had 18K miles. It was not clutch. axle popped out of CV joint.
There are many kids playing racers.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sounds like your clutch. Some last awhile, some don't. Mine had 54K when I replaced it and it was still perfectly fine, then some peoples have gone out in as little 30K. If you fight hard enough you may be able to get them to replace it under the powertrain warranty as Ford is aware of the clutch problem and has issued a few TSB's about them. I know to there is(or was) a shortage of SVT clutch/flywheels because of this problem they redesigned the bolt pattern(I think thats what they changed?) so from what I know, all the manufactures had to re-make there clutch/flywheels to fit this new pattern and have been quite hard to come across one. Good luck man, do some research on here about the TSB's and go back to them with the information and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts