Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend's 2004 Focus ... dash lights would go dim, car quit, and check engine light indicated a fuel pump relay issue. Owner was advised to buy new battery. Car quit again; battery replaced under warranty. Car quit, battery replaced under warranty. (unbelievable, eh?). Took to Ford and received a $1,200 estimate for replacing fuel pump and relay. I found high resistance where multiple wires are attached to battery. We cleaned/soldered wires on both negative and positive terminals and problem has not returned.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Very good!

Tx for posting that, you found the "simple" real problem there.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
One should always suspect battery power issues when several oddball electrical issues pop up out of the blue on these. Fuel pump acting goofy is one of them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yay, someone who didn't throw a part at it just because "the scanner said so"!

Admit it, amc49, that brought a bit of a tear to your eye...

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Well, they WERE chasing the correct issue but should have re-loadtested new battery to realize something else was causing power supply issues. More than one thing can do that. I got tricked by same issue once in my early Focus days but realized not fuel pump when other electrical things started acting up too. The fuel pump shows pretty quick with slow operation like something is wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Admit it, the OP did well.

Others were replacing the battery/estimating other problems before he found the real issue.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Should've changed all 6 trans solenoids for proper fix. MTX or ATX, change em'. He'll be back.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hey, it MIGHT work...

Got a set to fit my MTX?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
What's an MTX? I can barely handle the 2 pedals I have now.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Yes, I'll admit it, you guys are killing me.............................

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
All in fun, it was refreshing to see another "how I fixed it" instead of a how to question.

As Leora noted, one that didn't blindly follow a "code".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts