Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2004 ford focus LX 2.0L Split Port manual with 34k miles, I have put 200 miles on it and then I have started getting issues with MPG loss down to 20 mpg, Major loss of acceleration power, I can barely get it going and it judders while driving like its missing a beat, if i drive it for more than 10 mins it smells like something is burning

also sometime when I try to turn the car on nothing happens except for lights coming on, I don't hear anything from the engine, it does this about 33% of the time most of the time it starts right up

I have checked the air intake, changed the air filter and changed the spark plugs, has anyone else had issues like this? or anyone know what it might be? the check engine light as not come on at all.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Could you mention your engine type?

This Stickie can help with determining that:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/337457-engine-does-my-focus-have.html

Multiple possibilities for at least two problems here.

The lack of starting with the manual trans. is prob. as simple as an intermittent at the clutch safety switch. Check if it's related to how hard the pedal is depressed first, then if it continues you can try a "reset" of the switch plunger (pull it out when pedal out, should reset when pressed in again). At worst, it can be bypassed temporarily by unhooking the wire connector & 'jumping" it with a paper clip (insulate from touching metal).

Surprised at no CEL yet, get a free scan as a start since "pending" codes set before active ones & a misfire has to be SEVERE to set it right away. Light DOES turn on when key on before start?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Compression test, look at plugs to check for problems, scan if possible for codes.

COULD be as simple as a coil pack issue, or connector /wiring to the coil. Look at that as well for cracks in the coil or any apparent wiring/connector problems.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^yes.

SPI? Do the compression test before anything else. And hope you haven't just joined the dropped-valve-seat club.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed ignition coil, did code scan nothing came up, wires are fine and changed spark plugs.
still has same problem seems to be getting worse, would a dropped valve seat do this? or would it stop running at that point, I will do compression test next

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Compression test to determine basic mechanical condition is very important to avoid dropping $ on guesses for any significant engine issue. Even if something is obviously broken there is no point adding good parts to a car with other problems.

Could be relatively minor like jumped timing from a cam belt never replaced, or much more major like the valve seat issue prev. mentioned.

Once solid basic condition is confirmed, THEN you can start with other diagnostics/repairs without wasting resources. Otherwise it's like balancing a flat tire, might spin fine on the machine but it won't work once bolted to the car - waste of effort.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Numbers always help with the guesses, never sure what "good" means.

Cam timing checked yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts