Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 focus 2.0 dohc, recently the yellow warning lamp comes on, its for transaxle cooling. Weird thing is the light comes on and stays on for a bit soon after driving, don't see how the trans fluid could be over heating, after driving awhile it goes out. When the light is on the trans shifts harder then usual, when the light goes out it shifts fine. The car has 250 k on it, I recently got it and know by the service records it never had a trans fluid and filter change. Any suggestions would be great, I was gonna drop the pan and replace the filter and refill the fluid , I was not gonna do a flush as I heard it could cause more problems then help. Maybe something else is causing this, I wanted to see if I could get some advice before doing anything. Thank you I appreciate any help!!

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Well, usually when one waits until the trans begins to mess up it is too late and fresh fluid often makes things worse. The leaks get covered up by the metal particles in the fluid making slipping clutch grab anyway, change the fluid and then no metal in it and the worn parts then slip flush or not. Be ready for it.

Not trans cooling, rather trans AND cooling, meaning ENGINE cooling, the light signals either a trans issue or engine cooling issue. Trans shifting harder says it's a trans issue this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, thanks for your reply. I don't think its an internal trans problem cause the trans is working fine until the light pops on then the trans shifts harder , its like the computer is making the trans act differently. Are you certain that the light means trans or coolant temp, I am only asking because I have read alot on this issue and many point to a high tranny temp turning light on? I really appreciate your response and am just trying to narrow things down. I understand about the metal in the fluid "holding" it together. Its a shame trans service was not done on a regular basis but I just recently got the car. I was hoping being the tranny is not slipping at all and goes in and out of gear good a trans service wouldn't hurt. The thing that is make everything uncertain is the light comes on a few minutes after a cold start up.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Read the owner manual, it clearly states ENGINE cooling.

An overheated trans does not shift fine then instantly not. The light comes on because the trans suddenly does not operate correctly, the PCM knows when.

'...many point to a high tranny temp turning light on?'

Mistaken there, it is actually pretty rare, I follow this trans all over the web. They generally never overheat unless the engine is first. Or silly people towing with a Focus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was only asking if you were sure because of so may " high tranny temp" i have read about, That's why I figured I would join a focus forum to weed out so much bs they put on the net. You have straightened it out for me ,I appreciate it. I know temp cannot be my problem cause the light is on when its cold, actually comes on before i put it in gear, then after awhile of driving the light goes out. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think i was being cocky giving you a smart ass remark, looking this stuff up hoping someone says "oh i had the same car with that problem and this fixed it,,,, It just happened so I figured i ask first since I didn't get the chance to do much diagnostics yet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was only asking if you were sure because of so may " high tranny temp" i have read about, That's why I figured I would join a focus forum to weed out so much bs they put on the net. You have straightened it out for me ,I appreciate it. I know temp cannot be my problem cause the light is on when its cold, actually comes on before i put it in gear, then after awhile of driving the light goes out. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think i was being cocky giving you a smart ass remark, looking this stuff up hoping someone says "oh i had the same car with that problem and this fixed it,,,, It just happened so I figured i ask first since I didn't get the chance to do much diagnostics yet. Thanks again.
Many report this is actually a battery/system voltage problem. What is your battery voltage engine off, engine running idle, engine running 1500 RPM?

Have you scanned for DTC codes?

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts