Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 focus svt. It has a k&n intake, that was already on the car when I bought it. The car ran fine for a couple years then started sputtering and sounded like it was gasping for air. I unplugged the mas air flow sensor and it ran fine, but doesn't hit ztech and gets crappy gas mileage. I bought a brand new sensor, plugged it in and same thing, it sputtered and gasped. I have checked the filter on the intake and reset the computer. my check engine light burned out so I haven't checked the codes. Does anyone have any ideas? could it be the idle air control valve? the pig tail on the maf looks good. Please help, thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Until you read the trouble codes. Your burning cash. Get the codes read and report back. Someone here will be able to help you further, but I wouldn't buy anything else without knowing the codes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
All you've proven so far is that it'll run better when you throw it into full rich by unplugging the MAF.

What that may imply is a vacuum leak somewhere, PCV hose being the most common & on the SVT the intake couplers are another suspect.

Codes will help a LOT to give more ideas instead of shooting in the dark, all that's known for sure is that it doesn't run right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts