Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still plugging along. Final engine assembly.
Last thing I'll post til I get a response… What kind of cams did you use I am thinking about building my engine but I want it to run reliably and not put too much too the wheels. If you're looking for something to do to your car (this goes for all focus peoples that rally) look into making one of these:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
We talking a Kaaz and a 4.75 Final drive?
Yeah but if you want to get the maximum amount of grip you need to get a clutch based lsd the gear based kaaz and quaiffe just don't do the trick and when you run into a super low to zero traction environment with a gear driven lsd surprise you now have an open diff. If you want advice on the lsd and final drive there is actually a man who specializes in mtx75 transmissions named Terry* Haines I'm pretty sure and he owns Haines motorsports and they can make you one hell of a trans.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
For Cams I am running Cat Cams SVT Camshafts. Here are the specs:

14 Grind - hot street - dirt track. intake/exhaust camshaft data:lash ramp: 0.25mm/0.25mm duration @ 0.1mm: 277°/269° duration @ 1.0mm: 243°/236° valve lift: 12.00mm/11.50mm cam lift: 12.00mm/11.50mm lobe angle: 105°/105° timing @ 1.0mm: 17° / 46°43° / 13° valve lift @ TDC: 3.30mm/2.80mm

I am still about 3 weeks away from tuning as now I am waiting on the ECU to ship, so I do not have much real input on them as of yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also the KAAZ diffs are clutch based not torque/gear based.

FAQ: http://www.kaazusa.com/tech_faq.html
That's the clutch based what's the other gear based diff?
For Cams I am running Cat Cams SVT Camshafts. Here are the specs:

14 Grind - hot street - dirt track. intake/exhaust camshaft data:lash ramp: 0.25mm/0.25mm duration @ 0.1mm: 277°/269° duration @ 1.0mm: 243°/236° valve lift: 12.00mm/11.50mm cam lift: 12.00mm/11.50mm lobe angle: 105°/105° timing @ 1.0mm: 17° / 46°43° / 13° valve lift @ TDC: 3.30mm/2.80mm

I am still about 3 weeks away from tuning as now I am waiting on the ECU to ship, so I do not have much real input on them as of yet.
That should be a beast!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
That's the clutch based what's the other gear based diff?That should be a beast!
I believe the basic KAAZ diff is also clutch based. The SuperQ uses specially treated clutch discs to lengthen service life and the other feature is no break in is needed. They also tend to engage a little smoother and smooth out shock to the transmission components.

I think Torsen made the other gear based LSD.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah..if we are still talking about the MTX-75 trans:

Quaife and Torsen are torque biasing -no clutch plates...gears-good street diff.

Edit..Forgot Mfactory has a torque biasing too..as well as the clutch type mentioned below...

Kaaz, Mfactory and Gripper are the clutch types....good race diff..especially on dirt!

Oh and it's actually Terry Haines who rebuilds the MTX-75's...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe the basic KAAZ diff is also clutch based. The SuperQ uses specially treated clutch discs to lengthen service life and the other feature is no break in is needed. They also tend to engage a little smoother and smooth out shock to the transmission components.

I think Torsen made the other gear based LSD.
Yeah..if we are still talking about the MTX-75 trans:

Quaife and Torsen are torque biasing -no clutch plates...gears-good street diff.

Edit..Forgot Mfactory has a torque biasing too..as well as the clutch type mentioned below...

Kaaz, Mfactory and Gripper are the clutch types....good race diff..especially on dirt!

Oh and it's actually Terry Haines who rebuilds the MTX-75's...
Fixed it for him, I was close at least.

With the quaiffe although still not as good as the clutch based you can shim it to make it work just as well… I may try that with one soon I'd like to see someone who has, apparently it makes the transitions feel rough which is why they're not sold like that for road use but in rally it's too loud in the car anyhow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
While we were talking transmission and diffs I started to dive into mine.

Nice and filthy to start. Time for a hot bath of something or another. I think this engine had leaked all 4 quarts of oil on to this thing by the time I came across it.

Old Diff and final drive coming out.

Thankfully grandma must have driven this car. There is not a nick on any part of the transmission... at least she knew how to drive stick...

Also went to RallyX at Team O'Neil this past weekend. My friend let me drive his beater RallyX Subaru. Disappointed that no Ford's were there with the exception of a 2011 Fiesta. He had some of the best times, btw. It was a sheet of ice at least until the late afternoon...

Power, power....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Work continues on the transmission. After two hot baths this is what the housing looks like. Plan on painting it up with some silver VHT.

Now onto switching out the gears for the final drive. Those gears and bits need to go onto the other shaft...

Time to get to it.... a little over a third of the way there... need a press for the rest of the job. Updates soon:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
How did you remove your axle seals? I've been trying to beat mine out with a hammer and screwdriver but they just don't want to come out.
I used a hammer and big old screwdriver as well. Mine were pretty stubborn too and took quite a bit of force. Seems like these thing a built for a tank. I got stuck at removing the second gear from the shaft. Could not even get it off with a 20-ton press. Bringing it over to a specialty transmission place this morning so they can get it off for me, lol...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used a hammer and big old screwdriver as well. Mine were pretty stubborn too and took quite a bit of force. Seems like these thing a built for a tank. I got stuck at removing the second gear from the shaft. Could not even get it off with a 20-ton press. Bringing it over to a specialty transmission place this morning so they can get it off for me, lol...
Borrowed a tool and got both of the seals out in less than 2 minutes, I'm going to get one of these suckers for my box because these transmissions break axles and changing axles wears out the seals.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4508?seid=srese1&gclid=CIDIitLLwL0CFafm7AodHFwAow

If you talk to Andrew Frick he can probably help you with building your trans at home.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Time for some transmission fun updates:

5th and 4th Gears came off the shaft quite easy.

Hit a brick wall getting off 2nd and 3rd gear. I love the manual: "Using the special tool, remove the second and third gear wheel". Tried everything. Massive heat, multiple presses. It easily was bending a 20-ton press and was not coming off. Took it to a transmission specialty shop to get it off. They gave up after an hour and refused to charge anything as they cursed the damn thing. In the end, I purchased everything new from 3rd gear downward.

Here is a photo of me getting revenge on it after a week of wrestling with it

Dismantling it did come in handy for reassembly as the Ford manual and Ford parts diagrams had discrepancies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
So, to get 3rd and 4th gear on to spec it took some heat and 44,000 tons of pressure according to the load meter on the press I was able to use.

and the final product...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
All going back together now

The shift selector cleaned up good. Still had the Ford sticker on it

81 - 100 of 134 Posts