Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus ZX5, I cannot get air to the front window defroster. I removed the light gray control on the blender door, when I turn the knobl from face to floor to defrost/floor and defrost the center gear of the grey controller barely moves. I can move the blender door by hand and get air to the front window but the control knob doesn't work. The AC turns on/off when the knob is turned, so electrically it appears to be working. Is this knob strictly mechanical(cable) or is it operated by vacuum? How can I diagnose the problem?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hard wires.On the driverside by gas pedel it connects to the heaterbox you can remove cable and move manualy to position you desire.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
See the cam that moves (or maybe it was the cam you were moving)?

All the way up should be defrost (windshield).
... or maybe it's down. I can't recall now.
But either way, if the cam doesn't move that far by hand, then there is an internal problem in the air box. Not fun.
You can try to clean out debris like I did --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302320
It did help. But I don't feel it's a cure-all. For that, only new parts are a solution. And I'm not going that far. The box is a PITA to remove/replace as the dash has to come out. I don't feel like digging that far.

The cables are full manual.
The knob can turn and the cable will not. Generally that comes form the door being stuck and someone forcing the knob. The cable either jumps or breaks (jump more than break).
But in all cases, new cables are recommended. They are easy to replace and relatively cheap through Ford (Village Ford, Tousley Ford or Tasca Parts Group).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iminhell

Thanks for the quick reply. I can move the cam by hand, "up" causes air to the defroster. Assuming it's the cable, do I purchase just the cables or the netire knob/controller assembly?

Thanks
Paul

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
Just need the cables.

A quick Google search gives a picture of the part you need:

And that is the same as you get from Ford. Which is all I have ever bought, thrice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the HVAC selector cables with a new one(part YH-1624, $30 online). The cables in the old one were broke inside the knob section(black). I could not get the actual knob off, didn't want to force it. So I left the old grey switch in place. Is there a trick to removing these knobs? I didn't see any set screw. I suspect it's just friction but was very tight.

Thanks again.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts