Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post here and I have searched endlessly to try and find a solution to my problem.

A month ago I decided my car was due for a manual tranny fluid change, but this was not as simple as I thought it would be. I have searched around the internet and even found a good write up on this site but there is one problem, my transmission never looks like the one in the photos, and I can't seem to find the "drain plug" the the manual transmission.

As a note I have found what I believe to be the "fill plug" behind the black box you will noticed in the front of the transmission in my photos. But where in the world is the drain plug???

Please look at my photos and tell me if I am totally missing something!

Again, it is a 2004 Ford Focus LX manual transmission (base base base model...)

Also this is one of the links I have found that DO NOT seem to match my transmission: http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_Focus_mtx_fluid_change

View from passenger side looking toward driver side where I thought the drain plug is supposed to be.

View from driver side looking toward passenger side to show there is nothing there either

View from front of car towards rear showing black box (not disassembled at the moment); when I open it, it shows I think the clutch cable and the trans fill plug; i think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
when I go to FAQ and search photos it says to go to user CP and click the pictures and albums link; however I can not find this link...

·
Registered
566 Posts
The drain plug is a allen bolt near the tranny bracket. It looks exactly like the fill plug on the front of the tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks liciouz that is where I expected it to be. Now that I have uploaded pics you can see there is no drain plug there, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pic of the front of the tranny with black box off

closer pic of the contents of black box

I am wondering if this is a piece that has been broken off (kinda looks like a drain/fill plug) in front of tranny you can see in the other pics just to the left of the black box

if the last image is the case.... FML

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the more i am looking at the last picture, the more i am feeling that it is either the drain or fill plug. It looks like someone broke it off at some point before I bought this car and it neglected to mention it to me when purchasing the car.

Any thoughts on how I might go about fixing something like that at home, or do i need to find a shop?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The last picture is not even close to the drain plug. Your second picture is right on. The bottom is the drain and the top is the fill plug that takes a hex key. It tough to get loose, use a cheater bar on the large hex key.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
To Get enough torque to remove, a cheater on a hex key MIGHT round out the hole - a socket wrench hex key makes life a LOT easier!

You can justify the expense when you remember HOW MUCH you AREN'T paying someone to do it for you....

Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts