Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to changing my 2004 Focus Fuel filter. ~$15-17

The new filter did not come with the correct clips, but a HELP packet at Advance Auto Parts had 3 clips of 2 sizes (Dealer clips are ~$7 each).... the white ones (3/8's) were the closest and they fit.... should have got 2 packs because I broke 1 of the 3 in the packet...

Look in your manual to locate the fuse for the fuel pump... pull that fuse and start the car, which will get most of the fuel out of the line.... a rag will catch any left in the filter or line.

Here's what the old crusty filter looked like.

Yep it was due... I removed the bolt that held the assembly to the floor (vertically) to allow some slack.

I was able to pop the clip out of short hose on the engine side of the filter.

The clips directly on either side of the filter ended up breaking, but like I said the new ones worked fine.

Not much room to work if you can't use a lift, but doable if you lift the rear of the Focus up.
[wave]

DG

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
The clips don't pop all the way out, only like halfway, why you're breaking them. I've used them over and over with none breaking. Your middle pic even shows that one in the fitting as out too far, they only come out like half that amount. When out that far the hook clearly interferes with the tube coming out, you can see it there in the way.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
The clips don't pop all the way out, only like halfway, why you're breaking them. I've used them over and over with none breaking. Your middle pic even shows that one in the fitting as out too far, they only come out like half that amount. When out that far the hook clearly interferes with the tube coming out, you can see it there in the way.
This, I've replaced my fuel filter at least 6 times and never broke a clip.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
This, I've replaced my fuel filter at least 6 times and never broke a clip.
Help. I thought the clips were not supposed to be pulled out at all? I thought the clip was depressed/pushed-on in order to disconnect these fuel lines. I have only worked on these a few times; fuel filter and fuel rail, and each time never pulled out the clips at all. My fuel line disconnect tool = tip of my thumb.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I believe a tip of the hat is in order because a new member has done a write up that includes broken clips.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^ most likely shot from age, so don't worry.

Buggers are tricky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts