Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy reading the threads here, it’s my first time posting. Here goes:

I have a 2004 ZX3 with the Duratec 2.3L engine, automatic transmission. 231k miles! For the most part it still runs like a champ! Well maintained, oil, tune-ups, fluids, etc. However, I’m having an issue that typically occurs in the morning about 20-30 mins into driving. Ten minutes to get to the freeway in moderate stop and go, (5 miles), then when I get up to freeway speeds (70-80 mph, keeping up with traffic mind you) for about 10-20 minutes, the car seems to bog down, losing some power and speed. When I give it gas, it takes a few seconds to downshift and get moving back up in speed. When this happens, I smell a strong sulfur smell coming thru the vents and a nice white cloud of smoke coming out the tailpipe. The smoke stays as long as I have the engine under load, when I’m cruising again the smoke goes away but the sulfur smell sticks around for a few minutes. This happens about twice on the morning drive, but the rest of the day I have only one issue: from a dead stop, when I give it gas, it hesitates for a second before it gets moving. No smoke or sulfur smell at this time. I’m thinking, from what I’ve read, that it’s an exhaust issue.
Any advice is appreciated. If I have to replace exhaust components, I’d like to replace the integrated cat/manifold with a header and a cat bolted to it. Please help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts