Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I bought my 2003 zx3 (Zeetec 2.0) new 111,000 miles ago. Ran perfectly for 103,000 miles. My 18 year old took it to school; coming home ran rough, no power.

Then I changed plugs, wires, coil, crank sensor, fuel filter. It ran fine but wouldn't idle unless I feathered the accelerator with my foot at stop lights (Clutch-- 5 speed). I figured it was idle-sensor; can't fit in to remove it/replace it. Went to junk yard and got another throttle sensor, MAss Sensor, idle-air sensor, but didn't put them in (off 2002 Contour; slightly different)...

8,000 miles later, I'm laid off from work, so I have time to work on it, and want it fixed before winter. Tried putting on a NEW throttle sensor and recleaned plugs. Ran perfectly for a minute, then killed engine! Finally, cranked enough to start car, but no power or acceleration. Tried junk yard sensor, same. Put new one back on, ran, but idled rough.

Tried looking for leaks. Removed tube from back of intake manifold from purge canister.. Revved , ran great! Put tube back on and went to Advanced Auto. They said try new idle air. Ordered one-- got it, won't fit-- newly designed angle for plug. Returned it, went to another junk yard. My 20 year old, home from the Air Force, fit in and changed the idle sensor.

From Junk yard (off wrecked 2000 focus with ZeeTec, same as mine), hit in back, so assume car had been running) got idle air sensor identical to mine; new air box (mine was cracked/taped) with Mass Flow sensor, new throttle pos sensor, (but different wiring plug). Cleaned plugs, installed new fuel filter. Cleaned/ reinstalled Purge Canister and hoses.

Won't start. Sprayed ether in--- runs fantastic for 20 mile test drive. Took to Advanced Auto-- they said Mass Sensor not working. They said Throttle sensor showing bad, but that could be because of Mass Sensor. I came home, changed back to original Mass. Ran rough (on either only to start). Changed Mass back to junk yard one. Back to running perfectly AFTER ether spray......

Now what can an unemployed/ not trained car nut do??????

The only thing I haven't checked is the "Limp on home" switch for the fuel pump (I hear it working, and after starting, runs perfectly)....nor any fuses or breakers or relays. Also, have no way to check fuel pressure-- but then why would it run perfectly????????

HELP!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved; boy do I feel like an idiot.....

Must've twisted the throttle sensor when I mounted it. Bought another new one and now it works just fine.....old one wasn't reading right, according to Auto Zone's computer.....couldn't know to tell it to start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts