Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that all of my cars are broken I have to fix one of them.

Started on Friday.

I was driving around and shut the car off. Got back in after about 3 minutes pushed in the clutch and turned the key, the car took off so I ripped it out of gear and then had no peddle. Having to at least get the car home I put it in reverse and cranked it over till it started. Then all of a sudden the clutch came back in full force. I got home bleed the clutch and it seemed fine. Drove it around most of the day on saturday and it was fine. I was sitting at a stop light and the clutch engaged on its own. Still have good pedal pressure.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

I doesnt really sound like the master or slave to me since the pedal pressure is still there.

Pedal does not engage the clutch, but has great pedal pressure.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Possible disintegrating clutch friction disc lining.
Bits of friction disc lining get stuck between pressure plate and flywheel and temporarily give enough friction to provide drive. Rare but not unheard of with very worn clutch disc and/or high mileages. Doesn't affect pedal pressure as the slave cylinder operation is unaffected.
Just a suggestion on my part...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible disintegrating clutch friction disc lining.
Bits of friction disc lining get stuck between pressure plate and flywheel and temporarily give enough friction to provide drive. Rare but not unheard of with very worn clutch disc and/or high mileages. Doesn't affect pedal pressure as the slave cylinder operation is unaffected.
Just a suggestion on my part...
Now that I think about it that's not the problem because it still works. I can start it in a gear and drive it without using the clutch.

All the gears seem fine.

Makes me think slave cylinder again?

Any suggestions?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Either scenario you'll need to dig into the bell housing again from the sounds of it.
Check that all your gearbox linkages, master cylinder etc. are up to snuff before doing so.

I can start it in a gear and drive it without using the clutch.
Not sure what you mean by this. Clutch is a drive line disengagement mechanism. It doesn't rule out the faulty disc lining scenario which is still equivalent to the inability to separate gearbox from engine (same as faulty slave). If you get the gearbox/engine speed synchronized for a given road speed and rpm, you can still change gears with perhaps a minor gear crunch or two.
Or am I misinterpreting something?

btw, was the clutch slipping prior to this happening?

Faulty slave cylinder is the more likely scenario but I though you said that seemed OK. Check for fluid leaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right, my thoughts aren't going onto paper as they should.

The clutch wasnt slipping before, and no fluid leak that ive seen yet. Im ruling that its either a broken disc or slave. Out comes the tranny.

Ill update this once its fixed for anyone else that may have similar problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently replaced my oem clutch at 156k miles on it. It drove fine till one day it would not engage. Meaning I can start the car and put into gear but the cat wouldn't move like it was in neutral.

When I took out the clutch all the compound was gone to bare metal on the clutch disc. Lucky the flywheel wasn't damaged so was able to get away with just a new clutch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently replaced my oem clutch at 156k miles on it. It drove fine till one day it would not engage. Meaning I can start the car and put into gear but the cat wouldn't move like it was in neutral.

When I took out the clutch all the compound was gone to bare metal on the clutch disc. Lucky the flywheel wasn't damaged so was able to get away with just a new clutch.
Mine is the opposite problem, It wont disengage. But the pedal pressure is great. I just bought the new one but dont have time and my lift wont be open until Thursday night.

side note- putting a lift in my garage was the greatest tool I think ive bought except for the fact that it spends more time being used by friends than it does me.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One more vote...

Disintegrated disc with a section jammed between the clutch disc & pressure plate or flywheel is the cause I've seen for a clutch that won't disengage despite what feels like a working pedal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts