Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First its a 2003 Focus with about 70k miles on it. Has been running and driving great with no issues at all. My girlfriends son drives it and last nigh the headed out to go hang out with some college friends about an hour away. He was on the highway with the cruise control on at 65mph. He said the car sounded like it bumped into neutral for a second and then just quit. I went out to rescue him and found that the transmission warning light was on (the orange one that looks like a gear with a exclamation point in it) and when you turn the key to the start position it does nothing. No clicks, no starter no nothing. Very odd. The car still had power, the radio was on, lights and windows all worked although the hazards did not work so that was odd. Turn signals did though. I Pulled the battery terminals and made sure they were clean and I checked the connecitons on the back side of the pos terminal as well. Reconnected the battery and still nothing. We had to leave it by the road last night and I am going to pick it up today with a tow dolly if I cant make it start. I did check and it has transmission fluid. I know the A solenoid goes out in these, I have replace one before but why wont it even crank? Oh I also put my SCT tuner on it to check codes and it gave me an error. I have an older scanner that I am going to try today but thought it may be a sign of other issues. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What engine (SPI, Zetec, Duratec)?

What is the battery voltage?

Obviously no comm with the PCM can mean a problem with the PCM or it could mean a power/ground problem.
Just for S/G:
Put the transmission in neutral (N) and see if it will crank.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry thought I had put that Zetec and I charged the battery overnight, its a almost new battery as well. I did not check voltage but I have no reason to suspect the battery is bad and the charger did charge it. Same results today. We towed it back to the house. Tried starting it in neutral right way. Learned that trick many years ago. We did check the starter fuse today and I had already looked at all of the fuses under the hood. I dont see any visible problems but as of now it is still the same. I hooked my older reader to it today and it knows the it is connected to the car but it cannot read codes or clear any codes. I was hoping that having the battery out of it all night would clear whatever is going on but so far that didnt do anything.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When you turn the ignition switch to ON (RUN) do all the dash lights come on?

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, Everything looks normal otherwise. Dash lights are on, stereo works, turn signals work, headlights come on, brake lights. Just nothing doesnt change anything at all when the key goes to the start position.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I know what it is. Going to replace the A and B shift solenoids this weekend and see. I suspect maybe the transmission thinks it is still in gear when it is in park and that is why it wont crank. Its the only thing that makes sense right now. Will update if it is fixed.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
Solenoids have nothing to do with getting car to start, it's solely in the neutral/trans range switch. Somebody could have struck something with front of trans.

Does car still have coolant in the bottle? Overheated to damage will put that same light on. And can lock starter down to not seem to work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get what your saying but I have found two instances online now of people that had this issue. Yes the car has coolant, the engine is not locked up, the oil looks good, the transmission fluid is on the dipstick and no the car did not overheat. The car overheating would not make the transmission start doing weird things and the car was still running when he turned it off. The starter solenoid is not even ticking when the key is turned on. He did not hit anything either. I If the computer is not reading one of those solenoids correctly or not able to actuate it on power up I suspect it will cause some strange readings. But I found two others that had this problem with the exact symptoms and both fixed it by replacing the A and B solenoids. So for now that is the only solution I have found. If you have something better let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The old one seems to understand there is a car but since we had the battery un hooked it says it needs more drive time to get data since there is nothing stored right now. Cant really drive it if it wont start.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,352 Posts
The 2 things I would check. 1 the brake safety switch. 2 try cranking it in neutral. Sometimes the selector switch goes bad.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Another possibility is a bad ground from the battery to the fender. If it is bad the instrument warning lights will come on but that is it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The old one seems to understand there is a car but since we had the battery un hooked it says it needs more drive time to get data since there is nothing stored right now. Cant really drive it if it wont start.
Old one??

It doesnt matter what data it gives/doesnt give. Does it communicate - ie does it ID, VIN, etc?

Paul

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You asked about the park switch but not the brake switch. Did you 2 pm?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You asked about the park switch but not the brake switch. Did you 2 pm?
No I only asked him to try and crank it in N (post 2).

I didnt think the brake switch had anything to do with the starting circuit - at least nothing shown on the schematics. Also there is no mention of stepping on the brake pedal during starting in the owners manual.

Paul

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No I only asked him to try and crank it in N (post 2).

I didnt think the brake switch had anything to do with the starting circuit - at least nothing shown on the schematics. Also there is no mention of stepping on the brake pedal during starting in the owners manual.

Paul
You are correct. It is for the shift interlock. My bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changed both shift solenoids A and B and its fine now. He was able to drive it yesterday to work and will put some more miles on it before he heads out of town or anything but he said it seems to shift better also.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Changed both shift solenoids A and B and its fine now. He was able to drive it yesterday to work and will put some more miles on it before he heads out of town or anything but he said it seems to shift better also.
(y)

Didnt think that could cause a no crank.

Paul

1 - 20 of 38 Posts