Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a 2003 svt, it has projector headlights, and I was wondering which style bulbs it uses for headlights. I have a set of H4 LED bulbs laying around (not a cheap ebay set) and I was wondering if I could swap out the HIDs with them.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
The projectors are a D2S bulb, I think the halogens are H7? So see what LED bulbs you have and see if they match or are comparable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The are H4 style bulbs, everything I've read says 9003 are what it uses. I can't find anything that suggests another type of bulb, but if I had the car, I would be able to check. I don't have it as of yet.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
A couple posts down in this thread it says that the H4 will not fit in the projectors as the base is different. Here is the thread if you want to give it a look http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267793

Here are the bulb sizes you should have.
Headlight Summary High/Low Beam
H4 / 9003 (2000-2004 Models)
9007 (2005-2007 Models)
H13 / 9008 (2008-2011 Models)
H11 (2012-2016 Models)

Mach High Beam
H7

Mach City Light

Fog Lamp
H10 (SVT)
9005 (SVT - Requires minor shaving of the tab)
H11 (2005 Models)
H1 (SAP Models)

Front Side Marker Lamp

MACH Front Turn Signal

Rear Turn Signal
3157LL

Backup Lamp
3156 (Sedans)

Tail Lamps
3157LL

High Mount Stop Lamp

Dome Lamp

Map Lamp
BP3886LL

Parking Front Lamp

Trunk Compartment Lamp

License Plate Lamp

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
The are H4 style bulbs, everything I've read says 9003 are what it uses. I can't find anything that suggests another type of bulb, but if I had the car, I would be able to check. I don't have it as of yet.
I think your 9003 is what the search is for the standard headlights, reflector housings, but there are mach headlights on that car correct?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Dont mean to come off as all knowing but do they look like this?

There are plenty of Aftermarket Projector housings for the Foci, just want to make sure you have the OEM ones as that could affect bulb choices.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Cool, well there you go then, all the information above is relevant so you can go from that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would LED be a downgrade from HID? They're far less fragile, there's no warm up time, they're just as bright, I don't see anything negative about it.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Warm up time? HID's are ready to go and full power in about 4 seconds.

If it isn't a downgrade to you then go ahead and do a retrofit and put em in. No harm and you will like them better per say.

I am just a traditional guy, HID in projector, Halogen in reflectors.

I know the LED business is moving forward but to me they will always be for ambient lighting, brake lights, etc.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Why would LED be a downgrade from HID? They're far less fragile, there's no warm up time, they're just as bright, I don't see anything negative about it.
As of now they're an upgrade from halogen in terms of lumens, but they don't distribute light evenly to make full use of the lumens. It's like when you see HID retrofits in reflector housings, they just glare everywhere and not really put an light on the road. I don't know what an LED would look like in our (ancient) E46 projectors, but I don't think they would make full use of the light, especially if you have to rig them in. LEDs seem to make awesome off road light bars though.

I'm a big fan of LEDs, but I'm a little skeptical of the drop in bulbs being as good as OEM headlights with beams designed for LEDs. Time will tell. My car is almost full LED, and I'm planning on building my own bulbs, but right now I'm cool with saying I have plasma arc headlights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts