Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I just finished putting new Koni Orange dampers and springs on my 2003 SVT. Now, the drivers front fender is close to rubbing the tire - and does rub over bumps. The passenger front fender has at least 1" more clearance. What could be going on here? Doesn't the spring set the ride height?

I've taken the wheels off and everything looks fine. I've done a lot work like this in the past on many different cars over the years and never had something like this.

What else could it be? Do I need to swap the springs side to side to see if the passenger side then hangs low? I would rather not, but I will if I have to!

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Yes, springs determine ride height if everything else is within spec as well. Measure your side to side ride height by measuring from the fender lip to the center of the hub. Things that can effect ride height appearance include bent body parts or body repairs, bent control arms, etc. Was car ever in an accident. Do you have the springs seated correctly?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No accidents and I think the springs are seated correctly, but I'm going to take things apart this weekend to make sure.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to take it apart today. Here's the specs I got after I had the car aligned after the Koni springs/struts/shocks were installed. All else is stock.

Front Left:
Camber = -.3 degrees
Caster = 3.3 degrees
Toe = 0

Front Right
Camber = -1.6 degrees
Caster = 2.3 degrees
Toe = .01 degrees

Cross Camber 1.3 degrees
Cross Caster 1.0 degrees
Total Toe .01 degrees

Seems like the 1.3 degree dif in caster side to side is significant. Related??

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The side to side discrepancy between camber AND caster appears larger than normal. Both are not adjustable from the factory. Was the car ever in an accident?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing comes up in a carfax, and both previous owners told me no. But I guess there's no way to know for sure.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
You can add a set of castor/camber plate's to replace the upper strut mount, to get the camber more equal. Your camber will be more negitive w/ you in the car some what. I have the same castor setting's for some reason, but I'm not worried 'bout it. If you can get your car up in the air or on a rack, look at your control arm's & the cradle where the control arm's mount to, & also the bolt too. Have you replaced the clutch or the preveis's owner? You have to remove the cradle to remove the transaxle, & maybe the tech didn't mark the cradle or take the time to move it around when to set the alignment.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there's actually some adjustment where the cradle? I think the previous owner did replace the clutch...

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
My wagon had this problem. I ran oven an unidentified piece of crap on a freshly snowed highway that destroyed my driver's side wheels. Sucked. Anyway, when I noticed the driver's front sag, I figured I had bent the strut. Not sure if that is even something one could drive on, but I did anyway. When I finally got around to replacing the dampers, I did new front lower control arms at the same time....no more saggy.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Take's time!

So there's actually some adjustment where the cradle? I think the previous owner did replace the clutch...
There is a slight bit of adjustment for your camber side to side. You or the tech is going to have to loosen all the cradle bolt's on the alignment rack & move the cradle very slightly= a little bit, to get your camber equel side to side or close. It will take some time, or maybe 1 or 2 time's to get it. This isn't a slammer job.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Drive the car on the rack, lift up the front of the car & loosen the cradle bolt's & slide the cradle over to the side that need's some camber & snug a few bolt's up & lower it & set the head's on & check the alignment, & if more is needed that repeat the proseeure again, Then make sure your steering wheel is straight, & set "Win toe" menu, set toe on the pass side, then the driver's side, then make sure steering wheel is straight, I start the motor & move the wheel back & force a couple time's then set the wheel straight. I hate crooked wheel's or off set one's. It's quicker & easier than busten down the strut's for camber plate mount's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts