Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 SVT Focus with the European package for sale and all the buyers are using Kelly Blue Book to evaluate the car's value.

How can I convince folks that the Kelly Blue Book doesn't evaluate an SVT Euro Focus?

I will keep the car before I give it away.

It is equipped as well as the SVT that is being promoted to come out later.

Is putting the car in storage a good idea if it does not bring my price?[ffrocks]

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
show them a printout of the options page on KBB, and explain that the EAP package is on the rare side and highly sought after, and thus is worth more. If people dont want to pay, then dont sell them the car.

It also depends on how much you think the EAP package is worth. Seperately, the upgrades are worth quite a bit, but as a whole package car, its probably only worth $800-$1000 over a standard SVT

·
Registered
147 Posts
kbb doesnt mean jack anymore. if your not getting what you ask for just wait till you find the right buyer, doesnt seem like your in a hurry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I am pushed for space and will have to store it. I had a new car dealer offer me 6,000 so I know the retail is greater than that.

Thanks again for the input.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The right buyer will know that it's worth more, and there are definitely people on here and FJ who want a 3-door EAP in Comp Orange. But every buyer will try to talk your price down; it's just something to be expected. It's also a buyer's market out there right now (for those who can afford to buy).

Where do you have the car listed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nada is pretty fair, if your car is close to perfect 7.5k to 8k would probably be the top dollar I would expect to see, there is always a cheaper car thats similar to your's, mainly you have to find the person who wants exactly what you have. The NADA on an svt with the audiophile and eap is 7k on a regular mileage focus.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If the person looking to buy doesn't know what the EAP is/means good luck trying to tell them, some one who knows what they are looking at will understand that it is a little more special. Your price depend on how many miles, the condition and what you wouldn't mind letting it go for.

I don't know if this helps but I got my SVT in June of this year its a yellow 03 ZX3 EAP with 24,xxx miles It was listed for $13,000 for a while but I picked it up for $10,500.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought a 03 ZX3 EAP CO car recently and paid halfway between trade in and private party retail. Fair price I thought. You have to consider the economy were in too. I paid 6500 for mine with 93K on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
value of the car is in the beholder, kbb is a guide not a measuring stick. I recently sold a 1990 Mazda Miata for $3600. KBB said the car was hardly worth $2000, but you won't find a single person around detroit selling a miata for less than $3000 that has been stored in winter its whole life with no major issues. So the premium goes up a bit.

Same went for my SVT Contour, KBB said it was worth like $2800 because it had 175K miles on it, but the whole car had been replaced, new struts, springs, Custom 2005 3L engine, rebuilt trans, new clutch and flywheel. Someone is willing to spend the extra bucks because having proof of quality work and care put into a car makes it all the more valuable. I ended up selling it for considerably more than $2800.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The focus svt is a hard sell period. Every one i have ever seen on a car lot sat there forever and either never sold or the price had to come down a lot. You have to find an enthusiast that likes a focus. They are priced to high for what they are a lot of times cause for the same price or just a few grand more you can find higher performing cars with factory turbos and such, GTI, Cobalt ss, etc.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
If a dealer offered 6k they would just detail it and put it on the front of the lot for $9,999. Hold out and if they want to low ball u tell them to go buy a civic with the same options.

·
Registered
244 Posts
All Focuses are priced high right now, not just the SVT.
It is funny that you mention that, I remember a few years ago pricing out a couple of ZX3 and ZX5 Foci with under 80K miles with MTXs, and finding them for between 3 and 5 grand.

Then when I go out to go and buy one two years later, when the new focus hits the show room flow the exact same cars are the exact same prices, some are even more expensive. I think the release of the newest focus and this fuel economy craze that swept the US raised the resale value of the focus over those two years.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
It is funny that you mention that, I remember a few years ago pricing out a couple of ZX3 and ZX5 Foci with under 80K miles with MTXs, and finding them for between 3 and 5 grand.

Then when I go out to go and buy one two years later, when the new focus hits the show room flow the exact same cars are the exact same prices, some are even more expensive. I think the release of the newest focus and this fuel economy craze that swept the US raised the resale value of the focus over those two years.
A friend with an '05-'07 found cars just like his for sale for more than he paid two years ago. I was trying to convince him to sell it for a firstgen, cause how often does a car appreciate in value?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Def hold out for the right buyer I just bought mine a few months ago and the seller didn't hold out good for me bad for him I paid 6500 for my yellow 03 svt eap with 50k in near showroom condition I felt that was a great deal correct me if I'm wrong...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts