Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 SE Sedan with an SPI has 279,000 miles on it. It has been starting hard and skips when it first starts. After it warms up the skip goes away. Plugs and wires have about 40K on them.

It's been cold here in Maine. The car has never done this before. I have no problems when the car warms up. It runs and performs fine. Fuel economy has been steady.

What to look at next?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
I have an SPI as well...just curious as to if you replaced the heads or anything on it? Good to know it is still going strong.

Um is all good when warm...hmmm....So something heats up and expands whatever is loose? Vacuum leak, coil pack? I really couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not changed the heads and I have not had any trouble with my engine. It doesn't use any oil either. i did a compression test on a few months ago. Two cylinders have 125 lbs. and 2 cylinders have 115 lbs.

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
Your compression test if correct hints at it. Too low, worn engine, once worn enough they often show trouble at cold starts, they don't last forever. You need 140+ psi to really run well, the cylinders will begin to totally drop out as far as power around 100 or so. You may think running fine but if those numbers are real the car will be a dog.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Wow, those numbers are VERY low (if correct) as amc mentioned.

Did you have the throttle open for the test? Crank until pressure stops rising? (more than a rotation or two)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts