Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this aas short and uncomplicated as possible.....
Wife calls from library, car shifting irratically, no power. I arrive, sounds like timing is off, and coolant tank overflowed when cap was removed(engine sounded very hot)tried to drive it home and when she finally gave up sounded like the coolant was boiling. Coolant gauge showed normal the whole time...... Timing belt tensioner bearing let go....replaced it, retimed engine, now engine runs poorly, sounds like it won't take it's fuel, ya kinda gotta nurse it along. Plug 1 & 4 electrode rounded over. The boiling....is the head/head gstket done now?? Should I try to retime the engine again. 9th tooth was in line with sensor, cam was dead on the mark....
thanks for helping
Goose[dunno]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Re-checking the timing can't hurt, Plz. describe what you mean by "rounded over" in reference to plugs 1 & 4.

Otherwise the first step would be to double check for oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil - then do a compression check to confirm basic mechanical condition of the engine....

Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The electrode that stick out past the ceramic is normally cylindrical with squared corners, they are rounded =I (normal) =) (now), plugs were very clean, no deposits.....
No coolant in oil or vise versa.....compression check was next on the list....
Thanks Sailor !

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OK, "rounded" in that case is just worn out - that's what "Copper" plugs (old style any type actually) look like after lots of miles...

They'll still work, but the spark is "happier" with a nice square sharp corner to jump off of,,,, (grin)

Take Care!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the timing off 1 tooth.....this getting old sucks, eyes are getting terrible...lol
car runs/sounds much better, but I think it still neds a water pump and thermostat. Engine feels hot under the hood but the gauge reads normal.....
thanks for the help Sailer.
Cheers !

·
Registered
438 Posts
Too bad you didn't do the pump when you did the t-belt. On the SPI motor, the t-belt must come off to do the water pump. By the third time around, you should have no problems doing this job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts